Every now and then your dreams come true with yellowtail fishing. Getting multiple hook ups on fish ranging between 20-30 lbs is truly a dream come true.
It all started with a phone call from Brian on Tuesday night. Fishing all alone in La Jolla he caught two back-to-back yellowtail. That's when he realized it was a wide open bite. He came home with four yellowtail, the biggest being just over 30 pounds. That reminded me of something my buddy Tony, from Team Sewer, loves to say: “They must be giving them away!”
Gabe and I were suppose to fish on Thursday, however Brian's call changed all that. There we were, bright and early Wednesday morning hoping Brian's luck would spill onto us.
The weather was borderline foul, with choppy seas and a building south wind. That didn't stop us, nor our high hopes.
It turned out to be a great day. We lost more yellowtail in the kelp than we care to admit. Between us, we came home with five. Gabe nabbed the biggest one at 34 pounds.
The bite lasted all week, apparently, schools and schools of yellowtail decided to leave the Mexico's Coronado Islands and hit the shores of San Diego. I know plenty of fisherman came home with multiple yellowtail. That's why I'm unleashing this week's recipe, Yellowtail Gravlox (that's salt-cured yellowtail, for those who don't speak Swedish).
Just one yellowtail will yield enough salt-cured yumminess to give you a couple of months worth of bagels, cream cheese and gravlox. After you learn this recipe, I'll bet you'll never buy salmon gravlox again.
Salt-Cured Yellowtail Gravlox (lots and lots of serving)
4 yellowtail fillets skin on, 1.5” thick x 3” wide x 6” length (the loins from 1 yellowtail should do the trick)
Pyrex dish (13x7 inches)
Coarse black pepper
Fresh dill 5-6 sprigs
Zest of one lemon
3 large bricks wrapped in tin foil
1. Take the pyrex dish and line the interior with plastic wrap. Make sure the plastic wrap exceeds the edges of the pyrex dish by 6 inches all the way around the dish.
2. Place the fillets inside the pyrex dish wall-to-wall, skin side down.
3. Liberally sprinkle coarse black pepper on top of the fillets.
4. Sprinkle the zest from one lemon to the top of the fillets.
5. Create the 2 cups of the salt/sugar mixture by combing 2 parts salt and 1 part sugar and mix. With a big spoon cover the fillets with the mixture. Use your hands to spread the mixture into all the nooks and crannies.
6. Lay the sprigs of dill on top of the salt/sugar mixture.
7. Begin to pull over the excess plastic wrap all the way around creating a large packet.
8. Place 3 bricks on top and refrigerate for 30 hours.
9. Remove the bricks, unwrap the packet, rinse the fish fillets and pat dry with a paper towel.
To Create Yummy Bagels
Red onion finely julienned
Salt-cured yellowtail cut into thin slices
Fresh dill, chopped
1. Cut a bagel in half and then toast each half. Now spread cream cheese onto both halves. Finally, lay the red onion slices and then the yellowtail gravlox slices. Garnish with fresh dill and serve. Wow!
Equipment, Kitchen Gadgets and Ingredients I Used To Create This Recipe:
💰 BEST SAVINGS ONLINE NOW 💰 ➤ FREE 30 Day Amazon Prime Membership http://amzn.to/2lIRHcI For Huge Discounts and Free Shipping! __________________________________________________________________ 🎣 FISHING & PHOTOGRAPHY EQUIPMENT USED 🎥
➤ Lowrance Elite-7 CHIRP Fishfinder/Chartplotter $445 http://amzn.to/2Ddl3bu
(I love the 😍big screen!) ➤ Camera Used For Food Photography & Video Creation: Canon EOS 70D Photo & Video Package w/2 Lens, Tripod, Filters, Memory Cards & More… Amazon Top Value! $1099.95 http://amzn.to/2C09m5V ➤ GoPro HERO4 Black $278 http://amzn.to/2md2DzF ➤Fish Stringer Metal Clip $16.98 http://amzn.to/2Bt1dGU __________________________________________________________________ 🛠 KITCHEN GADGETS & INGREDIENTS FOR THIS RECIPE 🌶
➤ Ex-Large Bamboo Cutting Board 18"x14" $24.95 http://amzn.to/2EXy1uL ➤ Fish Prepping Pan (13"x9"x2") $11.85 http://amzn.to/2Cr3p33 ➤ Morton Kosher Salt 3lbs $14.99 http://amzn.to/2AiewJN ➤ Adjustable Pepper Grinder, Clear $16.99 http://amzn.to/2AsoiZG ➤ Spicy World Black Peppercorn 16-oz bag $11.81 http://amzn.to/2CTif3a ➤ Pyrex 1-cup & 2-cup Measuring Cups $15.00 http://amzn.to/2AhJf9z ➤ Whisk set 12",10", 8.5" $10.95 http://amzn.to/2CCaySf ➤ 12-inch Chef's Knife $19.95 http://amzn.to/2CnQuyw ➤ Wusthof Pro Cook’s Knife 12-inch $44.95 http://amzn.to/2CCoOGg ➤ Whisk set 12",10", 8.5" $10.95 http://amzn.to/2CCaySf ➤ Grater-Zester-Shredder $10.99 http://amzn.to/2HWlOqx ➤ Pro Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl Set of 6 $21.95 http://amzn.to/2CNr3H7 ➤ Stainless Steel Tongs Set 12", 9" Locking $9.75 http://amzn.to/2CEmEt7 ➤ Shun Japanese 7-inch Hollow Ground Knife $149.95 http://amzn.to/2GTzRgZ ➤ Amazon Cool Serving Platters http://amzn.to/2CI1f3j ____________________________________________________ You can support Fishermans Belly Channel by using our links 🔗 for your purchases. Thanks! Yanni🙂