Bluefin Burrito: This One Is Called the Bluefin Bomber!
Fishing is always a crap shoot. Kenny, Andy, and I launched from La Jolla and headed straight out in pursuit of bluefin. Offshore, we ran into a few kelp patties—that were vacant. We ran into dolphins, and some of the largest animals in the world, the blue whales. But no signs of tuna.
Our time flew by, and almost 20 miles later we ended up back in La Jolla catching none other than yellowtail. Go figure...
I had my heart set on Bluefin Burritos, and thank God, I still had some bluefin that Adi shared with me. It's good to have fishing friends.
I hope you're ready to learn how to create one of the most sensational burritos you'll ever eat, The Bluefin Bomber! Why do I call it a bomber? It's simple, I've got grilled up corn and habaneros in the pico de gallo, that's why!! Plus the tuna fillets are marinaded in hot sauce, that's right, HOT SAUCE. Don't be afraid, this burrito will light-up your taste sensations in a good way. Trust me!
Bluefin Burrito (serves 4)
3/4-1 pound bluefin fillet(s), yellowfin optional
4 large flour tortillas
2 habaneros (use 1 if you can't take the heat)
2 ½ lemons
1 bundle cilantro chopped
½ onion chopped
½ cabbage, sliced finely
32 ounce can of black beans
2 ears of fresh corn
1 lb of cherry tomatoes.Cut in halves.
½ cup Mexican Crema
Coarse black pepper
½ teaspoon cumin
1/3 cup of hot sauce
1. Bring the black beans to a boil then simmer for 5 minutes. Drain, cool and set aside.
2. Grill the corn and habaneros over the coals. After they're caramelized, cut the corn in half and shave off the kernels, and finely chop the habanero. Set aside for the pico de gallo.
3. Create the tuna marinade by mixing the hot sauce and the juice of one lemon. Place the tuna in the marinade then place on the hot grill. Depending on the tuna fillet thickness, grill for one to two minutes per side to achieve medium rare. Then set aside to cool.
4. Create the pico de gallo by mixing habaneros, onions, cilantro, corn, and the juice of one lemon.
5. Create Mexican cream sauce by mixing the crema, the juice of a ½ lemon, and cumin.
6. Heat the flour tortillas on both side over an open flame, then add beans, pico de gallo, sliced tuna, cabbage and finally cream sauce.
7. Roll, tuck and serve.