My local Mexican "mercado" market is full of tropical fruit like sweet papayas and mangos. And since I still have some wahoo in the freezer, I'm thinking about some yummy easy fish tacos with a tropical salsa!
This recipe is really an easy fish recipe. It only requires a quick tropical salsa, and pan fried easy-to-make fish tacos. Mastering this recipe will help you create a wide variety of fried tacos and tropical salsas. Enjoy.
Want to make a soft roll fish taco? Try the Ultimate Yellowtail Fish Taco with a Mexican creme sauce.
Fried Easy Fish Tacos With Tropical Salsa (serves 6)
1 pound wahoo ¾-in cubed (any fresh fish is perfect!)
6 king size corn tortillas
¼ head of cabbage
1 ½ cups of frying oil
1 cup All Purpose flour
2 tomatoes 1/2-in dice
1 cup diced papaya 1/2-in dice (mango optional)
Bundle of cilantro, chopped
1 serrano pepper thinly sliced
Coarse black pepper
1 box of tooth picks
3 limes juiced
1 tablespoon honey
Make The Tacos!
1. First begin to thinly slice the cabbage. Add the cut cabbage to a large bowl, and set aside in the refrigerator.
2. To make the tropical salsa, start with the salsa dressing. Add a tablespoon of honey into small mixing bowl and then add the fresh lime juice with a pinch of salt and pepper. Whisk vigorously until all the honey goes into lime juice. Set aside.
3. In another large mixing bowl, add the tomato, red onion, cilantro, serrano pepper and papaya. Next pour in the tropical salsa dressing then mix. Set in the refrigerator until needed.
4. Next, start warming the corn tortillas. You can place them directly on top of the lit gas burners. Remember to heat both sides until there's a little char starting to develop. Or, you can place the tortillas inside a mircowave for 10-20 seconds.
5. Add the all purpose flour into a large plastic or paper bag. Add a pinch of salt and pepper Into the bag. Roll the top of the bag to create and seal then shake for 5 seconds. Add all the fish cubes into the bag, and then shake the bag. Now your fish is ready to be rolled inside a taco!
6. To shake off the excess flour, use a large slotted spoon to scoop out a portion of cubed fish into the middle of a warmed tortilla.
Next, fold up the sides and weave one toothpick through the center of the fish taco.
7. And finally, heat a 1/2 inch of oil in a frying pan, over a medium heat. When the oil is ready, fry the tacos for 2 to 3 minutes on each side until they are golden brown.
Remember to check the color of tortillas as they are frying. When the tortillas are finished cooking, allow the tacos to drain in a paper towel lined platter. This is the time to sprinkle a little salt on the outside of the hot tacos.
8. Remove the tooth picks from the tacos and split them open. Now begin to fill each taco with cabbage and tropical salsa. Enjoy!