If you have any questions about this recipe, just leave them on the YouTube video and I'll get back with you ASAP!
Fall is just around the corner. Many Southern California fishermen will tell you, it's time to catch yellowtail, and make yellowtail fish tacos! Since Mexico and Baja are just a stones throw away, Southern California is truly the land of fish tacos. If you've got some fall yellowtail, this might the yellowtail fish taco recipe for you!
Our yellowtail bites can last for days. That only means one thing for us. Get ready for some sore arms. Because we keep fishing—day after day—as long as that yellowtail bite lasts.
But you might get some text messages wondering if we're fishing again? If that happens, make some fish tacos so then your text messages will read: When are you going again??
For more Fisherman's Belly fish tacos, check out our
Fish Taco section.
Yellowtail Fish Tacos (makes 8 tacos)
1 cup of general all purpose flour
2 pounds of yellowtail fillets, cleaned and skinned
1 jalapeno, stove top roasted and finely chopped
2 cups diced papaya
2 cups diced tomatoes
1 bundle green onions, chopped
1 bundle cilantro, chopped
½ cabbage finely sliced
6 limes medium sized
8 corn tortillas
4 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 chipotle in adobe sauce, finely chopped
4-5 tablespoons of vegetable oil
Coarse black pepper
Yellowtail Fish Tacos White Sauce
1. Mix the mayonnaise, finely chopped chipotle pepper and the juice of a ½ lime together, and then refrigerate until needed.
Papaya Pico De Gallo
2. First begin by placing one jalapeno over a high flame on the stove top. Roast until the jalapeno has some grey char on it. This should take 5-10 minutes.
3. While the jalapeno is charring, place the papaya, tomatoes, green onions, cilantro, the juice of 4 limes into a large mixing bowl. And then add a tablespoon of salt and black pepper. Finally, add the charred jalapeno after you finely chop it. Now, mix throughly and refrigerate until needed.
Fry The Yellowtail
4. Add 4-6 tablespoons of your favorite vegetable oil (mine is olive oil) into a hot cast iron skillet. Place the flour into a plastic bag and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Now add your yellowtail fillets and shake vigorously.
5. Remove the yellowtail fillets and cook both sides in the skillet. Try and cook the fillets only to 80% doneness. Then, turn off the heat and while the fillets are still in the skillet, begin to shred the yellowtail fillets with two large forks. Now add the juice of one lime and then place a lid onto the skillet. Without turning the flame back on, allow the residual heat from the skillet to finish cooking the yellowtail fillets in the lime juice for 4-5 minutes.
6. While you're waiting for the yellowtail fillets to finish cooking, place your corn tortillas onto the stove top flame, one at a time, while heating both sides. Place the warm tortillas inside a container to keep them warm. Or, wrap them with tin foil.
Assemble Yellowtail Fish Tacos
7. Take a warm tortilla in your hand and lather up one side with your white sauce. Now add some shredded yellowtail, cabbage, and finally, the papaya pico de gallo. Serve them up and enjoy!!
Need Some Kitchen Stuff? 🙂
Here's a great way to support Fisherman's Belly. Use our amazon links to purchase items you may need. You don't pay extra but, Amazon sends us a small commission on your purchase. Just click on the links below to take a look and shop around. Thanks, Yanni
_____________________________________________________________ ➤ 30 Day Free Amazon Prime Membership
KITCHEN GADGETS & INGREDIENTS FOR THIS RECIPE 🌶
➤ Staub Cast Iron 12" Fry Pan - Dark Blue
http://amzn.to/2os4ZwC ➤ Camp Chef 12-inch Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet
http://amzn.to/2m9HQwS ➤ Pinch Bowls w/lids (set of 3)
http://go.magik.ly/ml/8o8f/ ➤ Morton Kosher Salt 3lbs
http://amzn.to/2AiewJN ➤ Adjustable Pepper Grinder, Clear
http://amzn.to/2AsoiZG ➤ Spicy World Black Peppercorn 16-oz bag
http://amzn.to/2CTif3a ➤La Morena Whole Jalapenos Peppers, 27 oz
http://amzn.to/2FRKvF0 ➤ 20-Jar Revolving Spice Tower W/5 year FREE Spice Refills
http://amzn.to/2DDOlj7 ➤ Ex-Large Bamboo Cutting Board 18"x14"
http://amzn.to/2EXy1uL ➤ Wusthof Pro Cook’s Knife 12-inch
http://amzn.to/2CCoOGg ➤ Mandoline Slicer
http://amzn.to/2FKPiGW ➤ 12-inch Chef's Knife
http://amzn.to/2CnQuyw ➤ Orange Citrus Juicer/Squeezer
http://amzn.to/2E0vs9N ➤ Pyrex 1-cup & 2-cup Measuring Cups
http://amzn.to/2AhJf9z ➤ Kirkland Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil 2L
http://amzn.to/2ClQhvN ➤ Frying Kirkland Grapeseed Oil 2L
http://amzn.to/2CrNNj1 ➤ Multi-Purpose Stainless Steel Scraper & Chopper
http://amzn.to/2CK4sv5 ➤ Multi-Purpose Stainless Steel Scraper & Chopper
http://amzn.to/2CK4sv5 ➤ Microwave Tortilla Warmer, 10-Inch
http://amzn.to/2oTWNVj ➤ Ex-Large Mixing Bowl w/Lid
http://amzn.to/2CKwaLg ➤ Stainless Steel Tongs Set 12", 9" Locking
http://amzn.to/2CEmEt7 ➤ Pyrex 1-cup & 2-cup Measuring Cups
http://amzn.to/2AhJf9z ➤ Amazon Cool Serving Platters
http://amzn.to/2CI1f3j ➤ Microwave Tortilla Warmer, 10-Inch
PHOTOGRAPHY EQUIPMENT 🎥 ➤ Canon EOS 70D Food Photography & Video
https://amzn.to/2Ib1yGF ➤ GoPro HERO4 Black