Growing up in Southern California, I fell in love with grilled Mexican chipotle burgers. You could always smell that those BBq flavors a mile away. And since our coastline is sizzling with Mexican yellowfin and bluefin tuna, I thought I make a Mexican tuna chipotle burger.
If you're a Mexican food lover like me, you love this version of a tuna burger. It has a special easy-to-make chipotle secret sauce, plenty of cilantro and other surprising ingredients inside. But don't worry you don't have to be Mexican to love this dish, just a chipotle burger lover, like me!
This is the fifth tuna recipe in this summer's series of Tuna War recipes, 2017. If you're interested in the American Tuna Burger, it's an awesome burger recipe made with bacon!!
Chipotle Burger Made From Tuna (makes 4 burgers)
1 pound tuna (fresh or frozen)
1 bundle of cilantro
Large lime juiced
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon pepper
½ cup crushed tortilla chips
2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
4 tablespoons pickled jalapenos
½ cup of ketchup
4 thick pieces of cheddar cheese
4 hamburger buns
1 onion sliced
Head of lettuce
1 large tomato sliced
Creating the Chipotle Burgers
1. If you're using fresh tuna, create the ground fish by chopping it up as fine as possible. But, if you're starting with frozen tuna, use a hand held grater to make the ground fish
(watch the video for details).
2. Now, in a large mixing bowl add the ground fish, egg, cilantro, salt, pepper, and crushed tortilla chips. To create crushed tortilla chips, simply place a handful of our favorite Mexican store bought tortilla chips in a plastic bag, then smash them with a roll pin. Then, add the crushed tortilla chips into the bowl with the tuna.
3. Using your hands, form up four tuna patties and place in the refrigerator for no more than one hour.
4. Now, make the chipotle ketchup sauce by first mincing two chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. Add the chipotle to a ½ cup of your favorite ketchup and mix.
5. Next, it's time to preheat your grill to 500F. Once hot, grill your tuna patties for no more than 2-3 minutes per side. Remember, as soon as you flip over the patties, overlay them with thick cheddar cheese. That way, by the time the patty cooks, the cheese seems to be perfectly melted!
6. Finally, assemble the tuna burgers by add the chipotle ketchup on bottom bun, then begin layering then onions, lettuce, tomato, tuna patty, and pickled jalapenos. Lastly, lather up the top bun with chipotle ketchup and crown your chipotle burger made from tuna!
NEED SOME KITCHEN STUFF? 🙂
Here's a great way to support Fisherman's Belly. Use our amazon links to purchase items you may need. You don't
pay extra but, Amazon sends us a small commission on
your purchase. Just click on the links below to take a look
and shop around. Thanks, Yanni
➤ 30 Day Free Amazon Prime Membership http://amzn.to/2lIRHcI
KITCHEN GADGETS & INGREDIENTS FOR THIS RECIPE 🌶
➤ Large Hand Held Box Grater Stainless Steel
➤ Ex-Large Bamboo Cutting Board 18"x14"
➤ Commercial Plastic Cutting Board 24"x18"
➤ 12-inch Titnaium Bonded Cuda Knife
➤ Pro Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl Set of 6
➤ Orange Citrus Juicer/Squeezer
➤ Measuring Cups, 4-Piece Set, Stainless Steel http://amzn.to/2CTM6Zg
➤ 12-inch Chef's Knife
➤ Wusthof Pro Cook’s Knife 12-inch
➤ Rectangular Prep and Serving Tray 19.5x11.5”
➤ Stainless Steel Spatula
➤ Ceramic Oval Serving Platter 15"x10"
PHOTOGRAPHY EQUIPMENT USED 🎥
➤ Canon EOS 70D Food Photography & Video
➤ GoPro HERO4 Black