Baja is full of surprises and fish taquitos is one of them. Since growing up in So Cal, I've eaten plenty of taquitos. However, I can't recall ever eating "fish taquitos" until I went to Baja. There, especially in coastal communities, I found a wide variety of fish taquitos, including tuna fish taquitos at the Bay of Los Angeles.
The Bay of Los Angeles is one of my favorite places to camp and fish. On my last trip, one night a local Señora, named Juanita, stopped by our camp with homemade fish taquitos and guacamole. I'll never forget Juanita and her act of kindness, not to mention her taquitos and guacamole were insanely good. With a little practice I was able to copy her recipe. So here you have it, Baja fish taquitos straight out of the Bay of Los Angeles and Juanita's kitchen!
There's nothing like the beauty of the Bay of Los Angeles!
Bay of Los Angeles local Juanita, inspire this recipe!!
Fish Taquitos & Cucumber Guacamole (serves 6-8)
¾ pound frozen tuna, turned into ground fish
2 lemons juiced
1 lime juiced
3 stalks green onions, medium chop
1 large cucumber, peeled, chopped in large pieces
1-2 serrano peppers, medium chop
1 bundle cilantro, medium chop
Coarse black pepper
½ teaspoon cumin
6 ex-large corn tortillas, or 8 regular sized
½ cup vegetable oil
1 package Mexican Cotija cheese
Make the Guacamole
1. Start by grabbing a blender and then adding the avocado, cucumber, serrano pepper, juice of one lemon and one lime with a pinch of salt.
2. Begin blending until you have the consistency of “pea soup.” Remember to add a small amount of water if necessary. And don't forget to taste for saltiness and tartness. Add more salt or lemon/lime if required. Then, refrigerate until needed.
Make the Fish Taquitos
3. Start with a large mixing bowl, add the ground tuna, green onions, salt, pepper, and cumin. Then mix and set aside.
4. Time for to heat the tortillas on the stove top until they obtain a nice color and become pliable.
5. Now, with a large spoon, fill each tortilla and roll by hand.
6. Heat ½ inch of vegetable oil in a frying pan, then add half of your taquitos into the pan. Now, cook each side until a golden brown color is achieved.
7. Now, plate the taquitos, then add the guacamole on top and garnish with grated Cotija cheese. Enjoy!
NEED SOME KITCHEN STUFF? 🙂 Here's a great way to support Fisherman's Belly. Use our
amazon links to purchase items you may need. You don't
pay extra but, Amazon sends us a small commission on
your purchase. Just click on the links below to take a look
and shop around. Thanks, Yanni
____________________________________________________________ ➤ 30 Day Free Amazon Prime Membership http://amzn.to/2lIRHcI
KITCHEN GADGETS & INGREDIENTS FOR THIS RECIPE 🌶
➤ Black & Decker 8 cup Food Processor
➤ Box Grater Lrg Stainless Steel Coarse--Fine, Zester, Slicer
http://amzn.to/2CnQuyw ➤ Wusthof Pro Cook’s Knife 12-inch
http://amzn.to/2CCoOGg ➤ 24" Round Hard Wood Cutting Board
http://amzn.to/2AiewJN ➤ Adjustable Pepper Grinder, Clear
http://amzn.to/2AsoiZG ➤ Spicy World Black Peppercorn 16-oz bag
http://amzn.to/2CTif3a ➤ Orange Citrus Juicer/Squeezer
http://amzn.to/2E0vs9N ➤ Ex-Large Mixing Bowl w/Lid