Fresh Tuna Sandwich
The Super Bowl is just around the corner, and I feel like a fresh tuna sandwich, monster size! While most people are running to their local markets to stock up on manly beef, I'm thinking tuna. If you're like me, you've got tuna in your freezer. I say grab the frozen tuna, and try my new dish.
My new recipe teaches you how to take your frozen tuna and “flash boiling” it. This useful technique will allow you to create moist and tender fish nuggets without having to can your tuna. Then, you just toss together a few ingredients, and you're in there with a fresh tuna sandwich that's insanely good!
To safely and quickly thaw your frozen fish, place the sealed fish into a large pot of cold water with the faucet just trickling water into the pot. The trickling water allows the frozen fish to thaw out evenly, reducing the risk of bacteria growing on the surface of the fish while its center is still thawing. Learn more about bacteria, parasites and safe fish handling practices.
Fresh Tuna Sandwiches (6 sandwiches)
Tip: To safely and quickly thaw your frozen fish, place the sealed fish into a large pot of cold water with the faucet just trickling water into the pot. The trickling water allows the frozen fish to thaw out evenly, reducing the risk of bacteria growing on the surface of the fish while its center is still thawing.
1 ½ pounds tuna, fresh or frozen, diced into 1/2” cubes
6 ciabatta rolls, toasted if desired
½ red onion diced
4-5 medium sized sweet cherry peppers in vinegar, chopped
6 slices of lettuce
12 slices of tomato
4 tablespoons mayonnaise, for the tuna salad
6 tablespoons for mayo spread on cabatta
1 tablespoon mustard
½ lemon juiced
2 tablespoons dill chopped
Making The Fresh Tuna Sandwich
1. Start by boiling 2 quarts of salted water. Then, place half of the diced fish into a strainer. Now, dip the strainer into the boiling water (I call this “flash boiling”). Cook the fish until all the cubes turn white which usually takes less than a minute. Repeat with the remaining fish. When done, place all the cooked fish into the refrigerator to cool.
2. In the mean time, create the tuna salad by combining the mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, salt, pepper, cherry peppers, onions and cold tuna in a mixing bowl.
3. Now, cut the cabatta rolls, then, lather the tops and bottoms with mayonnaise. Don't forget to add a pinch of black pepper on top of the mayonnaise spread.
4. After that, arrange a slice of lettuce and 2 slices of tomatoes on the bottom half of each ciabatta roll. Remember, don't forget to add a pinch of salt and pepper
on the tomatoes.
5. Now, add the tuna salad evenly on top of the tomatoes, then, place the remaining pieces of ciabatta on top to finish the sandwiches. Enjoy!
NEED SOME KITCHEN STUFF? 🙂
Here's a great way to support Fisherman's Belly. Use our amazon links to purchase items you may need. You don't
pay extra but, Amazon sends us a small commission on
your purchase. Just click on the links below to take a look
and shop around. Thanks, Yanni ___________________________________________________________
➤ 30 Day Free Amazon Prime Membership http://amzn.to/2lIRHcI
KITCHEN GADGETS & INGREDIENTS FOR THIS RECIPE 🌶
➤ Large 10.5-quart Aluminum Soup Pot w/Lid
➤ 9-inch Double Mesh Hand Held Strainer
➤ 12-inch Chef's Knife
➤ Wusthof Pro Cook’s Knife 12-inch
➤ Ex-Large Bamboo Cutting Board 18"x14"
➤ Ex-Large Mixing Bowl w/Lid
➤ Orange Citrus Juicer/Squeezer
➤ Mezzetta Cherry Peppers 16-0z
➤ Cuda 9-inch Serrated Knife
PHOTOGRAPHY EQUIPMENT USED 🎥
➤ Canon EOS 70D Food Photography & Video https://amzn.to/2Ib1yGF
➤ GoPro HERO4 Black