Thinking about making a sandwich with your fried halibut?
Try my new super crispy Bbq halibut sandwich. This
recipe is full of tips for making the perfect fish sandwich.
Here's why. First, the fried halibut batter is made with a combination of flour and then corn starch. That way the crust gets very crunchy and stays crunchy, even overnight. Then, there's the homemade Bbq sauce. Pure yumminess!
This time of year is always fun if you're hunting halibut.
Once you find a productive hole, it's time to load up
and fill up the freezer. Then, if you need a fried halibut
sandwich, try this recipe. It won't disappoint!
If you love fish sandwiches, check out my Fish Sandwich section!
Crispy Fried Halibut Bbq Sandwich
3 halibut fillets, 1/3 pound each
3 hamburger buns
Tomato, medium sliced
Red onion, thinly sliced
4 cups grape seed oil
1 cup all purpose flour
3 tablespoons corn starch
1 1/2 cold water
8 tablespoons brown sugar
3 tablespoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon mild chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon coarse pepper
2-3 tablespoons of olive oil
1 medium diced onion
2-3 cloves minced garlic
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup molasses
½ fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons of dry rub (from above)
1 tablespoons hot sauce
2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
4 tablespoons of red raspberry marmalade
Start Making The Fried Halibut Sandwich
1. Start with creating the dry rub. Inside a medium
sized bowl, begin to add the brown sugar, salt, pepper,
chili, cumin and garlic powder, and then mix throughly.
2. In a sauce pan, start creating the Bbq sauce by heating
the olive oil first. And then start sautéing the onions first for a minute or two, followed by the garlic. Now add the 2 tablespoons of the dry rub, saute for a total of 5 minutes. Now add the ketchup, molasses, along with the lemon and vinegar Finally add the Worcestershire sauce and red raspberry marmalade. Slow simmer for an hour until the Bbq sauce has condensed by half.
3. Now it's time to start preheating the vegetable oil to 340-360F for frying the halibut.
4. Create the frying batter by adding the flour, corn starch and then cold water into a large bowl. Whisk throughly to remove any lumps while making this batter.
5. Place the halibut fillets into the batter and then straight into the heated frying oil. Fry each side for 2-3 minutes or until a nice golden brown color is achieved.
6. To assemble the fried halibut sandwich, start by adding mayonnaise to both the top and bottom buns. Now add sliced red onion, lettuce and then tomato, remembering to add a pinch of salt to the tomatoes. Finally add the fried halibut topped with the Bbq sauce. Enjoy!
NEED SOME KITCHEN STUFF? 🙂
Here's a great way to support Fisherman's Belly. Use our amazon links to purchase items you may need. You don't pay extra but, Amazon sends us a small commission on your purchase. Just click on the links below to take a look and shop around. Thanks, Yanni _____________________________________________________________
➤ 30 Day Free Amazon Prime Membership
KITCHEN GADGETS & INGREDIENTS FOR THIS RECIPE 🌶
➤ Cast Iron Dutch Pot
➤ Frying Kirkland Grapeseed Oil 2L
➤ Slotted Ladle Stainless Steel Skimmer
➤ 9-inch Double Mesh Hand Held Strainer
➤ 12-inch Chef's Knife
➤ Wusthof Pro Cook’s Knife 12-inch
➤ Pyrex 1-cup & 2-cup Measuring Cups
➤ Ex-Large Bamboo Cutting Board 18"x14"
➤ 24" Round Hard Wood Cutting Board
➤ Morton Kosher Salt 3lbs
➤ Adjustable Pepper Grinder, Clear
➤ Spicy World Black Peppercorn 16-oz bag
➤ Pro Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl Set of 6
➤ Orange Citrus Juicer/Squeezer
➤ Multi-Purpose Stainless Steel Scraper & Chopper
➤ Porcelain Ramekin Pinch Bowls 6-ea
➤ Ceramic Oval Serving Platter 15"x10"
PHOTOGRAPHY EQUIPMENT USED 🎥
➤ Canon EOS 70D Food Photography & Video
➤ GoPro HERO4 Black