Fried Lobster Spring Rolls
This time of year, there's two things I just love. Lobster fishing from my kayak and fried lobster spring rolls. Lately Southern California is getting smothered with continuous rains. And since that muddies up our coastal waters, the lobster freely circulate, with some ending up in my hoop nets.
I always look forward to cooking up fried lobster spring rolls with my first seasonal catch of lobsters. My new recipe follows the traditional Vietnamese fried spring rolls recipe, Cha-Gios. And, I'm using a very common, and super tasty, Vietnamese dipping sauce called Nuroc Cham. Give this recipe a try, you'll love it.
Love fresh spring rolls? I've got a lobster spring roll recipe that you're gonna love.
Vietnamese Lobster Fried Spring Roll (12 spring rolls)
Plan on a quick trip to your local Asian market!
3 lobster tails coarse chopped
1 packet of round rice paper (do not use “super thin” rice paper)
4 oz rice noodles
3 carrots, grated
1 red bell pepper, julienned
1 bundle of green onions, chopped (save a stalk for the dipping sauce)
1 bundle Thai basil, strip leaves off by hand
Grape seed oil for frying
Dipping Sauce (1 cup total)
4 tablespoons fish sauce
2 tablespoons sugar
½ cup rice wine vinegar
¼ of water
1 lime juiced
garlic, coarse chop
1 green onion stalk, chopped
½ bundle fresh mint, chopped
1 sweet red chili pepper, fine sliced rounds (hot chili's are always an option...)
Make The Fried Lobster Spring Rolls
1. Boil around 6 cups of water. Place the rice noodle into an empty pot and pour enough boiling water to cover the noodles. Let the noodles soak for 2-3 minutes. Pour out the water through a colander. Now start shaking the colander to allow the any excess water free from the rice noodles. So, after the noodles have cooled, take a pair of scissors and cut the noodles in half. Use your hand to grab a cluster of noodles, then snip away.
2. Now is the time to create the lobster salad in a large mixing bowl. Add carrots, red bell pepper, green onions, basil leaves rice noodles and lobster. Finally, mix the contents thoroughly.
Nuroc Cham Dipping Sauce For Fried Lobster Spring Rolls
3. Start by, creating the dipping sauce. Add the sugar, fish sauce, rice wine vinegar, water, then, the garlic, mint, lime juice and red chili into a small mixing bowl. Using a whisk or a fork, and then mixing vigorously. Finally, now add 1/3 of the dipping sauce into the lobster salad bowl and, mix using a big spoon.
4. Next, prepare a clearing on your kitchen table, or your work area. Start by adding an inch or two of water to a large rectangular baking pan. Remember when creating the spring rolls, work one-by-one. So now, start immersing a single spring roll rice paper into the water for 5 seconds. Finally, shake off the excess water and place the rice paper on your work space. Do not attempt and work with more than one rice paper at a time. And, I always hang an inch of the rice paper over the edge of my table, because, this gives me a starting point to hold on to.
5. Now, using a large mixing spoon, place a healthy dollop of the lobster mix in the center of the wet rice paper. Next, and with a sense of urgency, distribute the mixture into a shape of a hot dog in the center of the rice paper. Start rolling process by grabbing the dangling edge of the rice paper, then placing it over the hot dog shaped filling. Fold over both left and right sides towards the center. Then continue to roll up from the bottom. When finished, the spring roll should look like a large hot dog. Place the springs rolls side-by-side on a platter and serve with the remaining dipping sauce. Enjoy!
NEED SOME KITCHEN STUFF? 🙂 Here's a great way to support Fisherman's Belly. Use our
amazon links to purchase items you may need. You don't
pay extra but, Amazon sends us a small commission on
your purchase. Just click on the links below to take a look
and shop around. Thanks, Yanni
___________________________________________________________ ➤ 30 Day Free Amazon Prime Membership http://amzn.to/2lIRHcI
KITCHEN GADGETS & INGREDIENTS FOR THIS RECIPE 🌶
➤Staub Cast Iron 12" Fry Pan - Dark Blue
➤ Frying Kirkland Grapeseed Oil 2L
http://amzn.to/2CrNNj1 ➤ Ex-Large Bamboo Cutting Board 18"x14"
http://amzn.to/2EZ7wJ0 ➤ Cuda 10" Fillet Knife
http://amzn.to/2qtueSB ➤ Porcelain Ramekin Pinch Bowls 6-ea
https://amzn.to/2IaIE2E ➤ Morton Kosher Salt 3lbs
http://amzn.to/2AiewJN ➤ Adjustable Pepper Grinder, Clear
http://amzn.to/2AsoiZG ➤ Spicy World Black Peppercorn 16-oz bag
http://amzn.to/2CTif3a ➤ Pyrex 1-cup & 2-cup Measuring Cups
http://amzn.to/2AhJf9z ➤ Whisk set 12",10", 8.5"
http://amzn.to/2CCaySf ➤ Thai Fish Sauce 23-oz
http://amzn.to/2oxgT8e ➤ Seasoned Rice Vinegar 12 Oz
http://amzn.to/2COWOyP ➤ Measuring Cups, 4-Piece Set, Stainless Steel
http://amzn.to/2CTM6Zg ➤ Multi Length 8-piece Wooden Spoons
http://amzn.to/2CUR20e ➤ Pyrex 2-Quart Glass Bakeware With Lid
http://amzn.to/2owZFIc ➤ Stainless Steel 5-quart Colander