If you're looking for a grilled fish recipe, you're in the right place. Right now all my fishing buddies, including my bros fishing California's central coast, are bringing home the rockfish. And, not just fillets, but whole rockfish. My advice to them? Grill them whole.
This grilled fish recipe teaches you how to grill a whole rockfish the way they it's done in the Mediterranean. And by the way, this recipe uses sculpin, and the Mediterranean is full of them.
Grilling whole fish is practiced all over the world. And, they've been doing in the Med for thousands of years. And, always with fresh herbs, lemons and then olive oil. This combination is the very essence of Mediterranean fish cooking. Learn to cook and appreciate this basic flavor combo, and you'll be eating fish the way the fishermen of the mediterranean do.
How about Pan Roasted Whole Rockfish? Learn all about pan roasting and all the favors a whole rockfish has!
Grilled Fish Recipe For Whole Rockfish & Mediterranean Salad (serves 3)
3 whole rockfish gutted, gilled and scaled
1 whole cabbage, thinly sliced
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
4 lemons: 2 lemons juiced, 2 cut in halves
1 blood orange: half cut in wedges, half juiced
Bundle of fresh dill finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
Coarse black pepper
3 French buns, grilled
Whole Rockfish Grilled Fish Recipe
1. Start by preheating your bbq to as close 500F and over.
2. Start making the Mediterranean cole sole by adding a 1 teaspoon and a half of salt to the thinly sliced cabbage and then, mix by hand. Set aside for at least 15 minutes.
3. To make the salad dressing and basting juice, use a mixing cup, then add the garlic, lemon juice of 2 lemons, juice of a 1/2 blood orange, dill and then a pinch of salt and then pepper. Note the total volume and then slowly drizzle in then same amount of extra virgin olive oil while mixing vigorously. Half will become the basting juice for the grilling fish while the other half will become the salad dressing (do not add the salad dressing to the cabbage until you are ready to serve the salad).
Prepare The Fish
4. With a paper towel, pat dry all the rockfish. Then apply salt and pepper inside the body cavity. You can also apply pepper to the outside skin, but, please no salt. This ensures that the skin of the fish remains crispy and less likely to stick to bbq grill.
5. Cut 2 slits into each side of the rockfish in the thickest part of the meat. Add 4 blood orange wedges into the slits of the fish. Finally lather the entire fish, including its body cavity with olive oil. I use a basting brush for this job. In the end, add a couple of lemon wedges into the fish cavities and now you can start to grill the fish.
6. Cook the fish for 3-5 minutes on each side. After you the flip the fish, start basting each fish liberally. Check inside the gut cavity and take a look at the exposed meat for doneness.
7. Now add the salad dressings to the cut cabbage and then mix. Create a bed of the cabbage salad on a separate serving platter while placing the grilled rockfish top of the salad. Serve with the grilled bread, and if you need to drink something... A nice cold beer would be perfect!
NEED SOME KITCHEN STUFF? 🙂 Here's a great way to support Fisherman's Belly. Use our amazon links to purchase items you may need. You don't
pay extra but, Amazon sends us a small commission on
your purchase. Just click on the links below to take a look
and shop around. Thanks, Yanni
➤ 30 Day Free Amazon Prime Membership
🛠 KITCHEN GADGETS & INGREDIENTS FOR THIS RECIPE 🌶
➤ Culinary Pairing Knife Forged
➤ 12-inch Chef's Knife
http://amzn.to/2CnQuyw ➤ Wusthof Pro Cook’s Knife 12-inch
http://amzn.to/2CCoOGg ➤ Cuda 10" Fillet Knife
http://amzn.to/2qtueSB ➤ Bread Cutting Serrated Culinary 10-inch Knife
http://amzn.to/2CVOsKp ➤ Ex-Large Bamboo Cutting Board 18"x14"
http://amzn.to/2EXy1uL ➤ 24" Round Hard Wood Cutting Board
http://amzn.to/2Cxmvo6 ➤ Pyrex 1-cup & 2-cup Measuring Cups
http://amzn.to/2AhJf9z ➤ Olive Oil Dispenser Bottle 16-oz
http://amzn.to/2FuGeFV ➤ Kirkland Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil 2L
http://amzn.to/2ClQhvN ➤ Pro Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl Set of 6
http://amzn.to/2CNr3H7 ➤ Stainless Steel Tongs Set 12", 9" Locking
http://amzn.to/2CEmEt7 ➤ Fish Prepping Pan (13"x9"x2")
http://amzn.to/2Cr3p33 ➤ Amazon Cool Serving Platters