Whitefish Grilled Whole
Here in Southern California, our rockfish season extends into the summer. And for that reason, my next recipe is very for perfect for summer time grilling. Imagine eating whole white fish, grilled outdoors, and then topped off with tropical salsa.
My next recipe takes advantage of our summer's bounty with Caribbean flavors. Cherry tomatoes, ripe mangos, and cucumbers are coupled with fresh rockfish and your backyard grill. Check it out and enjoy the smokey flavors of grilled rockfish with a sensational tropical salsa.
Looking for another grilled rockfish recipe? Try my Mediterranean grilled rockfish with a classic cabbage salad.
Grilled Whole Rockfish (serves 4)
4 whole rockfish, gutted, gilled and scaled
1 lb cherry tomatoes, halved
1 large mango, diced
3 small cucumbers, sliced
1 sprig oregano, chopped
4 tablespoons olive oil
Coarse black pepper
Vegetable oil and a brush
Cooking A Grilled Rockfish Whole
1. Start by preparing the tomato-mango salsa by first placing the halved tomatoes in a mixing bowl and salting them liberally. Now add the mango, cucumbers, oregano and olive oil. Then, mix and refrigerate.
2. In the mean time, start heating your grill. Remember, to get as close to 500F at the grilling surface.
3. Start by seasoning up the whole rockfish gut cavities with salt and pepper. Avoid salting the its skin since salting the skin will lead to the skin sticking to your grill. Now, it's time to make two cuts or slits on each side of the fish, one just behind the gill plate and the other halfway to its tail. Finally, liberally lather the fish by brushing olive oil on both sides.
4. Now is the time, to clean your hot grill and lather it up with vegetable oil. As soon as that is done, quickly place the fish on the grill for 8-10 minutes on each side. Before rolling or flipping the fish over to cook its other side, simply brush on olive oil first, then flip. Use a spatula and tongs to carefully flip. In the end, this will help prevent the skin of the fish from sticking to your grill.
5. Don't forget to check the inside of your slits for doneness. Once cooked, and ready to serve, platter the fish side-by-side then add the tomato-mango salsa on top. Now serve, and enjoy!
NEED SOME KITCHEN STUFF? 🙂 Here's a great way to support Fisherman's Belly. Use our
amazon links to purchase items you may need. You don't
pay extra but, Amazon sends us a small commission on
your purchase. Just click on the links below to take a look
and shop around. Thanks, Yanni
___________________________________________________________ ➤ 30 Day Free Amazon Prime Membership http://amzn.to/2lIRHcI
KITCHEN GADGETS & INGREDIENTS FOR THIS RECIPE 🌶
➤ Culinary Pairing Knife Forged
http://amzn.to/2DSrNhH ➤ 12-inch Chef's Knife
http://amzn.to/2CnQuyw ➤ Wusthof Pro Cook’s Knife 12-inch
http://amzn.to/2CCoOGg ➤ Bread Cutting Serrated Culinary 10-inch Knife
http://amzn.to/2CVOsKp ➤ Ex-Large Bamboo Cutting Board 18"x14"
http://amzn.to/2EXy1uL ➤ 24" Round Hard Wood Cutting Board
http://amzn.to/2Cxmvo6 ➤ Pyrex 1-cup & 2-cup Measuring Cups
http://amzn.to/2AhJf9z ➤ Olive Oil Dispenser Bottle 16-oz
http://amzn.to/2FuGeFV ➤ Kirkland Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil 2L
http://amzn.to/2ClQhvN ➤ Pro Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl Set of 6
http://amzn.to/2CNr3H7 ➤ Stainless Steel Tongs Set 12", 9" Locking
http://amzn.to/2CEmEt7 ➤ Fish Prepping Pan (13"x9"x2")
http://amzn.to/2Cr3p33 ➤ Amazon Cool Serving Platters
PHOTOGRAPHY EQUIPMENT USED 🎥
➤ Canon EOS 70D Food Photography & Video https://amzn.to/2Ib1yGF
➤ GoPro HERO4 Black