If you have any questions about this recipe, just leave them on the YouTube video and I'll get back with you ASAP!
If you are planning on catching and grilling yellowtail this spring, I have the perfect grilled yellowtail sandwich just for you. And since most of our yellowtail come from Mexico, I figured I'd put a Mexican twist on this sandwich. How? That's easy, just add pickled jalapenos, jicama, cilantro, chipotle, Tajin seasoning and more. Plus the bread is definitely Mexican too, it's called bolillo (bo-li-jo). It's a Mexican bread favorite, leftover from the French occupation.
Why yellowtail? The San Diego Seaforth just had its first full day of yellowtail fishing at the Coronado Islands. They had 13 yellowtails by their first stop! This past winter has had all the signs of our beloved California current dominating again. So, book your trips, jump on a boat and go get some yellowtails, then start thinking about grilling yellowtail and making this delicious sandwich.
My buddy Billy Dick and his springtime yellowtail!
If you need more yellowtail recipes, check out my Yellowtail Recipes section.
Grilling Yellowtail For The Perfect Mexican Sandwich
1 pound yellowtail fillet(s)
1 red onion, sliced
2 tomatoes sliced
1 bundle green onions, sliced
1 bundle cilantro, chopped
1 jicama, peeled and chopped
3 tablespoons of sliced pickled jalapenos
2 tablespoons of pickled jalapeno juice (Mexican market)
2 tablespoons chipotle sauce (Mexican market)
Cracked black pepper
1 bottle of Tajin (Mexican spice)
5 tablespoons mayonnaise
4 bolillos (Mexican bread rolls)
Making The Grilled Yellowtail Sandwich
1. Preheat the grill to 500F. Start by seasoning your fillets with a liberal amount of Tajin. Now grill the yellowtail fillets just until the inside of the thickest part of the fillet goes from opaque to white. Usually, 3-4 minutes of cooking on each side. Immediately after cooking and while the fillets are cooling off, squeeze on some lime juice from a half of lime. The lime juice will penetrate the cooked fillets while they are hot. Set aside and allow to cool.
2. Now start creating the Mexican flavored mayonnaise by adding the mayonnaise into a medium sized bowl. Then add the green onions and a pinch of salt. Next add the chopped cilantro, sliced jicama, the juice of ½ lime and whole orange, the pickled jalapenos and finally the pickled jalapeno juice. Add a healthy pinch of cracked black pepper and now mix.
3. Hand shred the yellowtail fillet(s), and add that to the bowl, then mix.
4. Cut the Mexican bread into halves. Then brush on extra virgin olive oil onto both halves and place in a hot skillet or frying pan. Allow the bread to toast around the edges and then remove.
5. Finally, assemble the grilled yellowtail sandwich by first laying down a couple of slices of red onions on the bread followed by 4-5 large dollops of the yellowtail mixture. Then, set 2-3 slices of tomatoes on top with a touch of salt and pepper. And finally, the top bread piece. Enjoy!
NEED SOME KITCHEN STUFF? 🙂
Here's a great way to support Fisherman's Belly. Use our amazon
links to purchase items you may need. You don't pay extra but,
Amazon sends us a small commission on your purchase. Just click
on the links below to take a look and shop around. Thanks, Yanni
➤ 30 Day Free Amazon Prime Membership
KITCHEN GADGETS & INGREDIENTS FOR THIS RECIPE 🌶
➤ 12-inch Chef's Knife
➤ Wusthof Pro Cook’s Knife 12-inch
➤ Morton Kosher Salt 3lbs
➤ Adjustable Pepper Grinder, Clear
➤ Spicy World Black Peppercorn 16-oz bag
➤ Ex-Large Bamboo Cutting Board 18"x14"
➤ Pro Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl Set of 6
➤ Orange Citrus Juicer/Squeezer
➤ Multi-Purpose Stainless Steel Scraper & Chopper
➤ Porcelain Ramekin Pinch Bowls 6-ea
➤ Stainless Steel Tongs Set 12", 9" Locking
➤ Kirkland Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil 2L
➤ Kirkland Grapeseed Oil 2L
➤ Olive Oil Dispenser Bottle 16-oz
➤La Morena Whole Jalapenos Peppers, 27 oz
➤Tajín Clásico Seasoning 14 oz (pack of 2)
PHOTOGRAPHY EQUIPMENT USED 🎥
➤ Canon EOS 70D Food Photography & Video
➤ GoPro HERO4 Black