Halibut Recipe Yummy Chowder!
So finally, our winter time temperatures have dropped and I say it's time for fish soup. How about a halibut recipe chowder? It's a classic American fish soup that's perfect on a cold winter night. And, it's so delicious made from your fresh caught halibut.
Interested in a Yellowtail Chowder, Manhattan style?
My new recipe will have a creamy broth, otherwise known as Boston style broth. Its traditional ingredients include crispy bacon, heavy cream, fresh dill and then, homemade croutons! And here's my favorite part, I use my favorite white wine in the broth.
Caught in the middle of February, La Jolla kelp forest, next to a lobster buoy.
Will any fresh fish do? You bet, but, a lot of fishermen I know are coming home with halibut. Especially since our coastal California halibut seem to be in spawning early this winter.
Halibut Recipe Chowder (serves 4)
Halibut Recipe Chowder (serves 4)
1 1/2 pounds of halibut fillets 3/4-in cubed
3 potatoes 3/4-in cubed
2-3 carrots diced
1 onion diced
3 stalks of celery diced
4 cups of fish stock, vegetable or chicken stock optional
2 cups white wine (dry)
2 cups heavy cream
3 bay leafs
Coarse black pepper
1/2 package of bacon cut into small bite sized pieces
2 slices of sourdough bread
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons of general all purpose flour
1 large clove of garlic
4 tablespoons of fresh dill
1 tablespoon butter
Start Making the Halibut Recipe Chowder
1) In a large soup pot, start frying up the bacon until the pieces become nice and crispy. Set aside, and then add the onion, carrots, and celery. Also, add 2 tablespoons of flour. Make sure and whisk and stir in all the flour with the veggies to avoid any lumps! Add a pinch salt and pepper, while continuing to stir and saute for 10-15 minutes in bacon fat.
2) Add 4 cups of fish stock, and then add 2 cups of white wine. Now is the time to add the three bay leafs, and then bring this soup mixture to a boil.
3) Now add the potatoes and then simmer for 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
Now Is The Time To Make The Croutons
4) Toast two slices of sourdough bread and then rub a bare garlic clove on one side of each piece of bread. Drizzle some extra virgin olive oil on both slices and then top with a pinch of salt and pepper. Now, begin to cut each slice into one-by-one inch pieces. Heat the butter in a hot frying pan, throw in the sourdough pieces and toast further. Set aside when they achieved a nice golden brown color.
Finishing The Halibut Recipe Chowder
5) Now add the heavy cream. Stir and let this simmer for another 5-10 minutes, and then add the diced halibut. After a few minutes, give your soup a taste test while checking for saltiness. Add salt if required.
6) Remove the bay leafs and then start to garnish with croutons, bacon bits and finally some fresh dill. Serve and enjoy.
NEED SOME KITCHEN STUFF? 🙂
Here's a great way to support Fisherman's Belly. Use our amazon links to purchase items you may need. You don't pay extra but, Amazon sends us a small commission on your purchase. Just click on the links below to
take a look and shop around. Thanks, Yanni _____________________________________________________________
➤ 30 Day Free Amazon Prime Membership
KITCHEN GADGETS & INGREDIENTS FOR THIS RECIPE 🌶 ➤ Cast Iron Dutch Pot
http://amzn.to/2DIme2h ➤ Morton Kosher Salt 3lbs
http://amzn.to/2AiewJN ➤ Adjustable Pepper Grinder, Clear
http://amzn.to/2AsoiZG ➤ Spicy World Black Peppercorn 16-oz bag http://amzn.to/2CTif3a ➤ Commercial Plastic Cutting Board 24"x18"
http://amzn.to/2COJkom ➤ Ex-Large Bamboo Cutting Board 18"x14"
http://amzn.to/2EXy1uL ➤ Wusthof Pro Cook’s Knife 12-inch
http://amzn.to/2CCoOGg ➤ 12-inch Chef's Knife
http://amzn.to/2CnQuyw ➤ Cuda 10" Fillet Knife
http://amzn.to/2qtueSB ➤ Kirkland Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil 2L
http://amzn.to/2ClQhvN ➤ Multi-Purpose Stainless Steel Scraper & Chopper
http://amzn.to/2CK4sv5 ➤ Multi Length 8-piece Wooden Spoons
http://amzn.to/2CUR20e ➤ Simply Organic Certified Bay Leaf Small Bottle
http://amzn.to/2F0uX3y ➤ Premium Waiters Corkscrew All-In-One
PHOTOGRAPHY EQUIPMENT USED 🎥
➤ Canon EOS 70D Food Photography & Video
➤ GoPro HERO4 Black