How To Cook Sea Bass Whole
Southern California salt water fishing tournaments are always
fun, plus you could end up coming home with a big fish. At my last tournament, a big white sea bass stole the show. It was 58 pounder, and I was given the mid section to take home and cook up. If you've ever wondered how to cook a sea bass whole, you can start with the mid section, like me.
My new recipe is not only a good how to cook sea bass whole
recipe, but it tackles the mid section, in one piece. That's
why I called it “Rack Of White Sea Bass.” Here, the mid
section is cooked over the grill and then accompanied
with whole smashed potatoes. Not only that, but it teaches
you how to make a great mediterranean marinade for the
fish and the potatoes. If you love to grill, try this recipe.
For more sea bass recipes check out
My Reyes and his tournament winning 58 pound white sea bass!
How to Cook Sea Whole, Starting With The Mid Section
Mid section of a white sea bass, halved
3-4 pounds red potatoes
3-4 garlic cloves, smashed to a paste with a tablespoon of salt
3 tablespoons fresh or dry rosemary, finely chopped
2 lemons juiced
4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
Coarse black pepper
How To Cook Sea Bass Whole Just For Your Grill
1. Start first by throwing potatoes in a large pot of cold salted water. Bring this to a boil and cook just until the potato skins start to crack. Remove the potatoes and then allow them to cool.
2. Make the marinade by adding the smashed garlic in a bowl along with the rosemary. Now begin to add the lemon juice, and add 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil. Finally add 2 tablespoons of salt and 2 tablespoons of pepper. Mix and set aside.
3. Prepare the white sea bass by scaling it and clearing out the gut cavity (I use a butterknife and kosher salt to remove any unwanted blood vessels stuck to the bones). Make 4 top-to-bottom cuts—on the skin side--about 2 inches apart while exposing the vertebrate of the fish. In the end, this will help you portion the fish after cooking is complete, plus it will also allow you to visually see whether the fish is cooked near its main back bone.
4. Finally, pour half of the marinade on both sides of the fish. And then, lather the marinade on the fish with your hands. Set aside.
5. Take the cooled whole potatoes and partially smash them with a heavy sauce pan. Don't over smash the potatoes as they need to retain their shape, somewhat. Pour the rest of the wet marinade on top of the smashed potatoes.
6. Heat the grill. Place both the fish and potatoes on the grill. Start cooking the fish with the flesh side down for at least 5 minutes before turning over. Both the fish and potatoes should cook for the same amount of time, 10 minutes total. Before removing the fish, check the inside of one of the cuts to see if the meat is cooked at the bone. Don't over cook the fish!!
7. Place the fish on a serving platter surrounded by the potatoes.
Squeeze the juice from 2 lemons on top and serve. There you have it! Enjoy!
NEED SOME KITCHEN STUFF? 🙂
Here's a great way to support Fisherman's Belly. Use our
amazon links to purchase items you may need. You don't
pay extra but, Amazon sends us a small commission on
your purchase. Just click on the links below to take a look
and shop around. Thanks, Yanni _______________________________________________________________
➤ 30 Day Free Amazon Prime Membership
KITCHEN GADGETS & INGREDIENTS FOR THIS RECIPE 🌶
➤ Butcher Saw 22" Stainless Steel
http://amzn.to/2AicuJF ➤ Commercial Plastic Cutting Board 24"x18"
http://amzn.to/2COJkom ➤ Kirkland Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil 2L
http://amzn.to/2ClQhvN ➤ 12-inch Chef's Knife
http://amzn.to/2CnQuyw ➤ Wusthof Pro Cook’s Knife 12-inch
http://amzn.to/2CCoOGg ➤ Morton Kosher Salt 3lbs
http://amzn.to/2AiewJN ➤ Adjustable Pepper Grinder, Clear
http://amzn.to/2AsoiZG ➤ Spicy World Black Peppercorn 16-oz bag
http://amzn.to/2CTif3a ➤ Pro Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl Set of 6
http://amzn.to/2CNr3H7 ➤ Basting Brushes 2-ea Cooks Kitchen
http://amzn.to/2CUlV4H ➤ Beautiful Red Large Pasta Bowl Signature Housewares
http://amzn.to/2EXBlWL ➤ Decorative Fish Platter Made In Portugal
PHOTOGRAPHY EQUIPMENT USED 🎥 ➤ Canon EOS 70D Food Photography & Video https://amzn.to/2Ib1yGF ➤ GoPro HERO4 Black http://amzn.to/2md2DzF