How To Make A Po' Boy
There's nothing like a good fish sandwich. Just ask the
folks down south in Louisiana. They invented the ultimate
fish sandwich, the fish po' boy. Long strips of fried fish
inside a French baguette... And not to mention the tons
of fresh, crunchy vegetables and pickles. This new recipe teaches you how to make a po' boy, probably the greatest American fish sandwich ever created.
Using fresh caught yellowtail off the coast of San Diego,
this video recipe starts with how to prep a french baguette.
Then it shows you how to make a very tasty homemade tartar sauce. Followed by frying up yellowtail fillets coated in crunchy potato flakes, then finally, assembling this insane sandwich. All you need is some fresh yellowtail.
Got more yellowtail? How about a grilled Mexican Yellowtail Sandwich?
How To Make A Po Boy Fish Sandwich (serves 4)
6 strips of yellowtail fillets, cut into candy bar portions
1 large baguette
1 red onion, cut into 1/8" rounds
1 head of lettuce
2 tomatoes, cut into 1/4" rounds
1 large dill pickle, cut into long slices
1 1/2 cups of general all purpose flour
1 tablespoon of water
1 tablespoon of mustard
2 cups potato flakes
1 tablespoon of salt
1 tablespoon of black pepper
5-6 tablespoons of vegetable oil for frying
(I like grape seed oil)
Tartar Sauce Sandwich Spread
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon of plain yogurt
2 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon sweet relish
1 tablespoon fresh chopped dill
1 fresh lemon, juiced
1 teaspoon coarse salt (sea salt or kosher)
1 teaspoon coarse black pepper
How To Make A Po Boy Sandwich
1. Start by creating the tartar sauce. First, into a small bowl add the mayonnaise, yogurt, lemon juice, sweet relish, coarse pepper, and finely chopped dill.
2. Next take the garlic cloves and smash them to remove their skins. Now, with coarse salt and the back side of a chef's knife, smash the garlic until it turns into a paste. Then add the garlic paste into the bowl and mix all the ingredients together. Now, store in the refrigerator until needed.
Frying The Fish
3. Before starting the fish frying process, preheat your oven to 400F so you can toast your baguette.
4. Start by placing the flour into a plastic bag and then add a tablespoon each of salt and pepper for seasoning. Remember to shake the bag until thorough mixed.
5. In a separate bowl, crack the eggs and then add water and then mustard. Now whisk together until thorough mixed. Pour this egg mixture into a small rectangular container.
6. Place the potato flakes into another separate rectangular container.
7. Start preheating the oil in the frying pan to 370F.
8. Put 3 fillets strips into the plastic bag of seasoned flour and shake until the fillets are coated. With your hands or a pair of tongs, shake off the excess flour and then place the fillets into the egg wash. Now, remove the fillet strips from the egg wash and place them into the potato flakes. Now shake and flip the fillets until they are coated on both sides with potato flakes.
9. Place the fillets into the frying pan and cook until golden brown about 1 1/2 - 2 minutes. Turn the fillets over and finish cooking the other side until it's golden, about a minute. Continue the same process for the remaining 3 fillets. Place the fried fillets into a platter lined with a paper towel to absorb any excess oil.
10. Cut the baguette in half, lengthwise. Bake in the 400 degree oven for about 2-3 minutes, until toasted.
11. To assemble the sandwich, spoon tartar sauce spread on both sides of the toasted baguette. On the bottom half, place onions, lettuce and tomato. Season the tomatoes with a dash of salt and pepper. Lay fried fillet strips diagonally on top of the tomatoes, then place dill pickle strips on top of the fish. Cover with the top half of the baguette, and then cut the sandwich into desired portions and serve.
NEED SOME KITCHEN STUFF? 🙂
Here's a great way to support Fisherman's Belly. Use our amazon links to purchase items you may need. You don't pay extra but, Amazon sends us a small commission on
your purchase. Just click on the links below to take a look and shop around. Thanks, Yanni
________________________________________________________________ ➤ 30 Day Free Amazon Prime Membership
KITCHEN GADGETS & INGREDIENTS FOR THIS RECIPE 🌶 ➤ 12-inch Chef's Knife $19.95
http://amzn.to/2CnQuyw ➤ Wusthof Pro Cook’s Knife 12-inch $44.95
http://amzn.to/2CCoOGg ➤ Ex-Large Bamboo Cutting Board 18"x14" $24.95
http://amzn.to/2EXy1uL ➤ 24" Round Hard Wood Cutting Board $21.95
http://amzn.to/2Cxmvo6 ➤ Bread Cutting Serrated Culinary 10-inch Knife $12.45
http://amzn.to/2CVOsKp ➤ Orange Citrus Juicer/Squeezer $27.97
http://amzn.to/2E0vs9N ➤ Pyrex 1-cup & 2-cup Measuring Cups $15.00
http://amzn.to/2AhJf9z ➤ Kirkland Grapeseed Frying Oil 2L $16.39
http://amzn.to/2CrNNj1 ➤ Camp Chef 12-inch Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet $20.36
http://amzn.to/2m9HQwS ➤ 13"x9" Bakeware Dredging Pan $12.99
http://amzn.to/2CijuYF ➤ Stainless Steel Tongs Set 12", 9" Locking $9.75
PHOTOGRAPHY EQUIPMENT USED 🎥 ➤ Canon EOS 70D Food Photography & Video $1049.99
https://amzn.to/2Ib1yGF ➤ GoPro HERO4 Black $199.00