How To Smoke Trout
Why learn how to smoke trout? My answer? Besides eating the most delicious smoked fish you've ever had, you get to learn how to make it so you can have it any time you want. That, plus smoking trout is a great way to deal with lots of trout, all at once.
You can easily vacuum bag whatever you don’t use, and save it for a rainy day. Learn about the brining, to the formation of the pellicle skin, and even bone removal. My new video recipe will teach you the basics how to smoke trout, and give you a recipe for a super-tasty and healthy smoked trout salad.
Plus, If you're interested in making a dip, check out
Smoke Trout (5-6 whole trout)
5-ea, 1½ -2 pound, whole trout, scaled, gutted and heads removed
1 gal of water
1 cup salt
1 cup brown sugar
1 whole onion cut in half
6-7 cloves crushed garlic
1/3 cup hot sauce
How To Smoke Trout
1. Add cold water into large pot, then add salt, brown sugar, cut onion, crushed garlic, and hot sauce. Some people heat this mixture on the stove, I simply mixture thoroughly.
2. Prepare trout by chopping off the heads, clear out the entrails. Now with a sharp knife, cut from the anal port to the tail along the back-bone to butterfly open the trout. Submerse trout in brine and refrigerate overnight.
3. Rinse trout with water and pat dry. Place fish on racks to develop pellicle skin (I use an electric household fan to accelerate the pellicle skin formation, about 2-3 hours).
4. When the trout skin is dry to the touch, the trout is ready for the smoker. Smoke between 180-200F for about one hour and 45 minutes to 2 hours max. TIP: No need to soak your wood chips if you don't overcrowd your wood chip
pan. Overcrowding will set your wood chips on fire. Avoid having your wood chips catch fire.
5. After about 50 minutes, remove the trout from the smoker. With the help of your fingers and a very narrow boning knife, remove all of the bones: fin bones, rib bones, back bone, etc. Place the trout back in the smoker to complete the smoking. Be careful not to over-smoke (cook) and dry out
6. Remove trout from smoker (eat some to make sure it's good). Vacuum bag and freeze whatever you don't use for your salad.
Once you've figured out how to smoke trout, try making this simple salad!
Smoked Trout Salad (2-4 servings)
Hand full of washed/dried arugula (or salad greens)
1/2-1/4 red onion julienned
1 smoked trout, shredded by hand
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Pinch of red pepper
1. Remove the skin from the smoked trout. Ensure all bones have been removed. Shred the trout, by hand, into small pieces and place into small bowl.
2. Create salad dressing by whisking together equal parts olive oil and fresh lemon juice, add salt and pepper to taste. Add this dressing to shredded smoked trout and mix.
3. In a separate bowl, add arugula and the red onions. Finally, add dressed shredded trout and toss. Add a pinch of salt and red pepper before serving.
NEED SOME KITCHEN STUFF? 🙂
Here's a great way to support Fisherman's Belly. Use our amazon links to purchase items you may need. You don't pay extra but, Amazon will send us a commission on your purchase. Just click on the links below to shop around and take a look. Thanks, Yanni
________________________________________________________________ ➤ 30 Day Free Amazon Prime Membership
KITCHEN GADGETS & INGREDIENTS FOR THIS RECIPE 🌶
➤Electric Smoker With Temp Controls
➤ Stock Pot Stainless Steel 20-quart w/Lid
➤ Whisk set 12",10", 8.5"
➤ Cuda 9” Flex Fillet Knife
➤ Ex-Large Bamboo Cutting Board 18"x14"
➤ Fish Prepping Pan (13"x9"x2") $11.85
➤ Oneida 31161 Digital Thermometer & Timer
➤ Thermo Pro Digital Thermometer Wireless
➤ Amazon Cool Serving Platters
PHOTOGRAPHY EQUIPMENT USED 🎥 ➤ Canon EOS 70D Food Photography & Video
https://amzn.to/2Ib1yGF ➤ GoPro HERO4 Black