I love to camp, surf and fish along the beach just north of Ensenada in Baja. And that's where, for the first time, I tasted a Mexican lobster burrito. I watched the street vendor as he cooked the lobster and then assembled my burrito. All the while thinking, I could do that at home.
The good news is this, these lobster burritos are easy to make, especially with fresh California spiny lobster. Besides the extra large flour tortillas, the lobster bits, potatoes, onions, and chilis, there was the spicy guacamole taquero sauce. That sauce made that burrito out of this world! After a little research and practice at home, I've got that guacamole sauce mastered. And now here's the recipe.
If you've got lots of fresh lobster and would like to learn how make a stuffed lobster recipe, check out my Greek Stuffed Lobster! Simple and tasty while learning the basics for
Baja Lobster Burrito (makes 2 burritos)
1 lobster tail, clean, removed from shell and chopped
1 potato, diced
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
Coarse black pepper
1 tablespoon chili powder (hot or mild)
2 sweet peppers, thinly sliced
½ onion, diced
5 medium tomatillos
3 clovers of garlic
½ bundle cilantro (optional)
1 tangerine (or a sweet orange)
Extra large flour tortillas
Making The Taquero Sauce
1. Start by heating a heavy frying pan or skillet over high heat, with no oil. And then place the tomatillos, garlic and jalapenos into the pan. Keep rolling them until charred and softened (10-20 minutes).
2. In the mean time, scoop out the avocado, and place it inside a blender or food processor. Then, add the tomatillos, garlic and jalapenos. Now is the time to add the cilantro and the juice of the tangerine, or a sweet orange. Remember to season with salt and pepper. Blend until the mixture is soupy. Refrigerate until needed.
Making The Lobster Burrito
3. Begin by heating the vegetable oil in a frying pan over medium heat. First, add the potatoes, then season with salt, pepper, and chili powder. Saute for 5-7 minutes. Now, add the onions and sweet chilies and saute for another 5 minutes. Finally, add the lobster with a pinch of salt and pepper, and saute until all the lobster bits turn white. Turn off the fire.
4. Immediately, squeeze a lime directly into the frying pan. Now, with a wood spatula, deglaze the bottom. In other words, scrape up the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Now set this aside.
5. Now grab a tortilla and warm both sides over an open flame. Place half of the potato lobster mixture in the center of the tortilla in the shape of a log. Remember to spread the guacamole taquero sauce over the mixture, and then spread the another scoop of lobster mixture on top.
6. Finally, begin rolling the burrito by first grabbing its sides and folding towards its center. Next, grab the bottom edge, closest to you and pull it up and over the log mixture. Now tuck this edge back towards you, thus, firming up the log roll. Now continue to roll away from you until you've formed a lobster burrito. After you've formed the burrito, place it in a hot frying pan, loose edge side down. Finally, this will brown and seal the the burrito closed.
NEED SOME KITCHEN STUFF? 🙂
Here's a great way to support Fisherman's Belly. Use our amazon links to purchase items you may need. You don't pay extra but, Amazon sends us a small commission on your purchase. Just click on the links below to take a look and shop around. Thanks, Yanni ___________________________________________________________
➤ 30 Day Free Amazon Prime Membership
KITCHEN GADGETS & INGREDIENTS FOR THIS RECIPE 🌶 ➤ Staub Cast Iron 12" Fry Pan - Dark Blue
http://amzn.to/2os4ZwC ➤ Camp Chef 12-inch Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet
http://amzn.to/2AiewJN ➤ Adjustable Pepper Grinder, Clear
http://amzn.to/2AsoiZG ➤ Spicy World Black Peppercorn 16-oz bag
http://amzn.to/2G55bvF ➤ Ex-Large Bamboo Cutting Board 18"x14"
http://amzn.to/2EXy1uL ➤ Wusthof Pro Cook’s Knife 12-inch
http://amzn.to/2CCoOGg ➤ Mandoline Slicer
http://amzn.to/2FKPiGW ➤ 12-inch Chef's Knife
http://amzn.to/2CnQuyw ➤ Wusthof Pro Cook’s Knife 12-inch
http://amzn.to/2CCoOGg ➤ Ex-Large Bamboo Cutting Board 18"x14"
http://amzn.to/2EXy1uL ➤ Orange Citrus Juicer/Squeezer
http://amzn.to/2E0vs9N ➤ Pyrex 1-cup & 2-cup Measuring Cups
http://amzn.to/2AhJf9z ➤ Cuda 9-inch Serrated Knife
http://amzn.to/2COSfFk ➤ Frying Kirkland Grape seed Oil 2L
http://amzn.to/2CrNNj1 ➤ Multi-Purpose Stainless Steel Scraper & Chopper
http://amzn.to/2CK4sv5 ➤ Multi Length 8-piece Wooden Spoons