Lobster Spring Rolls
I'll never forget the first time I ate fresh lobster spring rolls in Little Saigon, Southern California. They were stuffed with California spiny lobster chunks, wild tasting vegetables and herbs, and a puckering good Vietnamese dipping sauce. Just like that, I was in love with lobster spring rolls.
This new recipe requires you to cook the lobster before you make fresh spring rolls. Then you need a few fresh vegetables and a little skill in spring roll rolling. Don't worry, it's easy and I'll show just how to do it!
Vietnamese Lobster Fresh Spring Roll (12 spring rolls)
Plan on a quick trip to your local Asian market!
3 lobster tails coarse chopped
1 packet of round rice paper (don't use “super thin” rice paper)
4 oz rice noodles
3 carrots, grated
1 red bell pepper, julienned
1 bundle of green onions, chopped (save a stalk for the dipping sauce)
1 bundle Thai basil, strip leaves off by hand
Dipping Sauce (1 cup total)
4 tablespoons fish sauce
2 tablespoons sugar
½ cup rice wine vinegar
¼ of water
1 lime juiced
1-2 cloves garlic, coarse chop
1 green onion stalk, chopped
½ bundle fresh mint, chopped
1 sweet red chili pepper, fine sliced rounds (hot chili's are always an option...)
Make the Lobster Spring Roll Dipping Sauce
1. Start creating the dipping sauce. Grab a small mixing bowl and add the sugar, fish sauce, rice wine vinegar, water, garlic, mint, lime juice and red chili. Then use a whisk or a fork to mix vigorously.
Lobster Salad Mixture
2. Now cook the lobster pieces. For me, I do this by placing the lobster pieces into a microwaveable pyrex pan. Then I drizzle a tablespoon of olive oil over the lobster. Remember to add a pinch of salt and pepper. Next, mix, and place the lid on the vessel. Then microwave. I always start at one minute and start checking for doneness. From there, I only go up in 10 second intervals. As soon as the lobster pieces go opaque, you're done. Now, add one third of your dipping sauce on top on the lobster pieces, then mix well. Finally, add the lid back on and refrigerate for one hour.
3. In the mean while, create the lobster salad by first cooking the rice noodles. So, bring a pot of 6 cups of water to a boil. Then, place the rice noodles into an empty pot and pour enough boiling water to cover the noodles. Now, let the noodles soak for 2-3 minutes. Pour out the water through a colander and shake the colander to allow the any excess water to drain out. And, after the noodles have cooled, take a pair of scissors and cut the noodles in half (use your hand to grab a cluster of noodles, then snip away).
4. Finally, it's time to add carrots, red bell pepper, green onions, basil leaves with the rice noodles. Using both hands, mix the contents throughly.
Lobster Spring Roll Assembly (my favorite time!)
5. Start by preparing your work area. First, add enough water into a large rectangular baking pan, filling it halfway up. Remember, you create on spring roll at a time. Start by immersing a single spring roll rice paper into the water for 5 seconds. Shake off the excess water and then place the rice paper on your work space.
6. Start by, using a large mixing spoon, place a healthy dollop of the lobster mix in the center of the wet rice paper. Finally, with your hands, distribute the mixture into a shape of a hot dog in the center of the rice paper. Start rolling by grabbing the dangling edge of the rice paper, then placing it over the hot dog shaped filling.
7. Next, fold over both left and right sides towards the center. Then continue to tuck and roll up from the bottom (watch the video for more instructions). When finished, the spring roll should look like a large hot dog. In the end, the springs rolls can be cut into halves or thirds, or served whole. By the time you're done, you become an expert spring roller!
NEED SOME KITCHEN STUFF? 🙂 Here's a great way to support Fisherman's Belly. Use our
amazon links to purchase items you may need. You don't
pay extra but, Amazon sends us a small commission on
your purchase. Just click on the links below to take a look
and shop around. Thanks, Yanni
___________________________________________________________ ➤ 30 Day Free Amazon Prime Membership http://amzn.to/2lIRHcI
KITCHEN GADGETS & INGREDIENTS FOR THIS RECIPE 🌶
➤ Ex-Large Bamboo Cutting Board 18"x14"
http://amzn.to/2EXy1uL ➤ Meat Cleaver Professional
http://amzn.to/2EZ7wJ0 ➤ Cuda 10" Fillet Knife
http://amzn.to/2AiewJN ➤ Adjustable Pepper Grinder, Clear
http://amzn.to/2AsoiZG ➤ Spicy World Black Peppercorn 16-oz bag
http://amzn.to/2CTif3a ➤ Kirkland Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil 2L
http://amzn.to/2ClQhvN ➤ Olive Oil Dispenser Bottle 16-oz
http://amzn.to/2FuGeFV ➤ Pyrex 1-cup & 2-cup Measuring Cups
http://amzn.to/2AhJf9z ➤ Whisk set 12",10", 8.5"
http://amzn.to/2CCaySf ➤ Thai Fish Sauce 23-oz
http://amzn.to/2oxgT8e ➤ Measuring Cups, 4-Piece Set, Stainless Steel
http://amzn.to/2CTM6Zg ➤ Multi Length 8-piece Wooden Spoons
http://amzn.to/2CUR20e ➤ Pyrex 2-Quart Glass Bakeware With Lid
http://amzn.to/2owZFIc ➤ Stainless Steel 5-quart Colander