Dorado Tacos, Upside Down!
Mahi Mahi Fish Tacos
Talk about fishing days! Only in So Cal can you and your fishing buddies go out in a day, with your fishing kayaks, and catch two dorados and two yellowtails. After this amazing day, I decided to create an amazing fish taco. It's a mahi mahi fish taco which I created upside down. The culinary world would call this a deconstructed fish taco, but I call it, way yummy! It's simple to make since it only requires grilling the mahi mahi, and then adding a touch of homemade guacamole, cabbage and fried corn tortillas strips. But, before you make this mahi mahi fish taco, first you've got to catch the fish, here's how we did it.
On the beach there was Andre, Chris, Ray, and myself. We knew La Jolla's waters were full of dorado (mahi mahi), yellowfin tuna, bluefin tuna, and yellowtail. So, that meant, we had a strong chance of coming home with good eats. Our fellowship splintered as soon as we hit the water, but we stayed in touch.
Andre found his yellowtail tracking bait along the kelp line. Ray's dorado was caught under a patty, about a mile offshore, and then Chris' dorado came from a blind strike five miles out. And for me? I got hooked up to what I believed was a tuna. It did surface during the fight and looked like a tuna. Unfortunately, it was about to spool me, so I put additional drag pressure on it, and thus, it broke me off. But that was Ok. Especially since everyone shared fish at the end of the day, I ran straight to my kitchen where I made this unbelievable fish taco. Hope you guys give this tasty mahi mahi fish taco a try.
Mahi Mahi Fish Taco (makes 4-6 tacos)
4 dorado fillets, 4”x 3” x 1 ½ ” thick
4 corn tortillas cut into ¼ ” ribbons
4 avocados, cut in half and seeded
Bundle of cilantro chopped
4 stalks of green onions chopped
Half of small cabbage cut thinly
1/2 jicama (pronounced Hick-ah-mah-) peeled, medium dice
1 jalapeno pepper, roasted, charred and diced
4 tablespoons of olive oil
Coarse black pepper
1 ½ tablespoons Mexican oregano
1 quart of frying Grapeseed oil
Making The Mahi Mahi Fish Taco
1. First, start by firing up your grill now.
2. In the kitchen, start making the guacamole. First, place a jalapeno on top of a stove-top flame. Keep turning the jalapeno until it is charred throughout, then set aside.
2. Now start scooping out avocados in a mixing bowl. Add the chopped green onion, diced jicama, and diced jalapeno. Next, add the juice of two limes, salt, pepper and hand crushed oregano. Don't forget to taste for saltiness and the for the tanginess from the limes. Then add more, of either, if needed.
3. Using a hand potato masher, mash and mix the contents until you achieve the texture you desire. Refrigerate until needed.
4. Prepare the mahi mahi fillets for the grill by placing them in a small container. Now drizzle on some olive oil, add the juice of one lime, and a pinch salt and pepper. Turn the fillets to become evenly coated with this marinade.
5. Grill the fillets for no longer than 2 minutes each side. Remember, don't overcook your fish.
6. Place the sliced cabbage inside a mixing bowl and add the juice of one lime, then salt and pepper. Then mix and set aside.
7. Heat 1 quart of grapeseed oil to 370F (I like to use healthy grapeseed, or peanut oil for frying).
8. Add the tortilla ribbons in the hot oil and fry until light brown. This should take no more than a minute.
9. Assemble the tacos by first placing a bed of cabbage on the bottom of the plate. Now add a fish fillet, followed by a dollop of guacamole. Finally add a hand full of fried tortilla ribbons on top and serve.
💰 BEST SAVINGS ONLINE NOW 💰 ➤ FREE 30 Day Amazon Prime Membership http://amzn.to/2lIRHcI For Huge Discounts and Free Shipping! _________________________________________________________________ 🎣 FISHING & PHOTOGRAPHY EQUIPMENT USED 🎥
➤ Lowrance Elite-7 CHIRP Fishfinder/Chartplotter $445 http://amzn.to/2Ddl3bu
(I love the big screen!) ➤ Camera Used For Food Photography & Video Creation: Canon EOS 70D Photo & Video Package w/2 Lens, Tripod, Filters, Memory Cards & More.. Amazon Top Value! $1099.95 ➤ GoPro HERO4 Black $278 http://amzn.to/2md2DzF _________________________________________________________________
🛠 KITCHEN GADGETS & INGREDIENTS FOR THIS RECIPE 🌶
➤ Kirkland Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil 2L $23.60 http://amzn.to/2ClQhvN ➤ Ex-Large Mixing Bowl w/Lid $23.95 http://amzn.to/2CKwaLg ➤ Pinch Bowls w/lids (set of 3) $9.99 http://go.magik.ly/ml/8o8f/ ➤ Morton Kosher Salt 3lbs $14.99 http://amzn.to/2AiewJN ➤ Adjustable Pepper Grinder, Clear $16.99 http://amzn.to/2AsoiZG ➤ Spicy World Black Peppercorn 16-oz bag $11.81 http://amzn.to/2CTif3a ➤ Orange Citrus Juicer/Squeezer $27.97 http://amzn.to/2E0vs9N ➤ Commercial Plastic Cutting Board 24"x18" $24.95 http://amzn.to/2COJkom ➤ 12-inch Chef's Knife $19.95 http://amzn.to/2CnQuyw ➤ Wusthof Pro Cook’s Knife 12-inch $44.95 http://amzn.to/2CCoOGg ➤ 12-inch Stainless Steel Potato Masher $12.99 http://amzn.to/2DbUwLM ➤ Stainless Steel Tongs Set 12", 9" Locking $9.75 http://amzn.to/2CEmEt7 ➤ Fish Prepping Pan (13"x9"x2") $11.85 http://amzn.to/2Cr3p33
You can support Fishermans Belly Channel by using our links 🔗 for your purchases. Thanks! Yanni🙂