To catch wahoo, aka ono, Southern California fishermen have to go way offshore. But not in Hawaii, where just a quick boat ride puts you in wahoo waters. In Hawaii it's called ono, which means delicious. And yes, any ono recipe can be simply delicious.
My new recipe is inspired by the Hawaiian islands, where I found myself eating a lot of ono recipes. I found a restaurant in Little Manila that served up a great ono dish, made with curry. I recall the thick flavorful curry and chunky ono, all on a bed on Jasmine rice. I've recreated this dish many times at home, and now I'm sharing it with you.
Got lots of ono? Here an Ono Sushi recipe that's also straight from Hawaii.
Hawaiian Ono Curry (serves 3)
To all my Hawaiian fishing buddies, this one is for you!
1 pound wahoo, cut into 2” flat rounds
2 cups Jasmine long grain rice
3 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons of minced ginger
2 tablespoons of minced garlic
4 tablespoons of curry powder
1 large onion diced
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon pepper
2 tablespoons flour
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1 cup water, or unsalted chicken stock
3 stalks green onions diced
1 cup cubed fresh pineapple
Wooden flat blade spoon for mixing and deglazing
Make Your Ono Recipe Here!
1. Start by cooking your rice. Begin, by follow the instructions on the package, and don't forget to wash your rice throughly to remove the excess starch. Otherwise, your rice will turn out gummy and sticky.
2. Then, add 2 tablespoons of butter in a heated large pot over a medium heat. And, just before the butter starts to brown, start adding the onions, ginger, garlic, salt and pepper.
3. After sauteing for 5 minutes, start adding the flour, while continuously mixing to create a a golden brown roux. In the end, this should take between 5-10 minutes.
4. Now start adding the curry powder, and continue to cook for another 5 minutes (the smells should start to drive you crazy right about now!).
5. Continuing, start adding the coconut milk, and the water. At the same time, stir with a wooden spoon scrape and deglaze the bottom of the pot, thoroughly (this will bring up all the yummy brown bits that form at the bottom of the pot). Then, allow the curry to simmer for 10-15 minutes. Finally, add the fish and only cook for 1-2 minutes. Remember, your fish will cook quickly, so turn off the fire after 2 minutes.
Caramelizing The Pineapple
6. While the fish curry is cooling, add a tablespoon of butter in a hot frying pan. Just before the butter turns brown, add the cubed pineapple and cook until the pineapple begins to caramelize (ie, turns a rich brown color at its edges).
7. Remember the rice? You need it now.
8. So finally, serve the curry over a bed of rice and then, top with green onions, pineapple and Sriracha sauce. Enjoy and start hula dancing!
NEED SOME KITCHEN STUFF? 🙂
Here's a great way to support Fisherman's Belly. Use our
amazon links to purchase items you may need. You don't
pay extra but, Amazon sends us a small commission on
your purchase. Just click on the links below to take a look
and shop around. Thanks, Yanni
➤ 30 Day Free Amazon Prime Membership
KITCHEN GADGETS & INGREDIENTS FOR THIS RECIPE 🌶
➤ 3 Fine Mesh Stainless Steel Strainers
➤ Large 10.5-quart Aluminum Soup Pot w/Lid http://amzn.to/2CJLAfy
➤ Ex-Large Bamboo Cutting Board 18"x14" http://amzn.to/2EXy1uL
➤ Pyrex 1-cup & 2-cup Measuring Cups http://amzn.to/2AhJf9z
➤ 12-inch Chef's Knife
➤ Wusthof Pro Cook’s Knife 12-inch
➤ Cuda 10" Fillet Knife
➤ Porcelain Ramekin Pinch Bowls 6-ea https://amzn.to/2IaIE2E
➤ Morton Kosher Salt 3lbs
➤ Adjustable Pepper Grinder, Clear
➤ Spicy World Black Peppercorn 16-oz bag http://amzn.to/2CTif3a
➤ Multi Length 8-piece Wooden Spoons
➤ Mild Indian Curry Blend Powder 16-oz
➤ Thai Kitchen Organic Coconut Milk, 13.66 oz (Pack of 6)
➤ Kikkoman Soy Sauce 33.8-oz
➤ Cuda 10" Fillet Knife
➤ Professional Stainless Steel Soup Ladle http://amzn.to/2Gmypnf
➤ 8-Inch Frying Pan, Teflon Platinum Non-Stick http://amzn.to/2FGIEml
➤ Huy Fong Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce Bottle-17 Oz-2 Pack
➤ Set of 4 Large Porcelain Soup Bowls $24.99 http://amzn.to/2DBjaor
PHOTOGRAPHY EQUIPMENT USED 🎥
➤ Canon EOS 70D Food Photography & Video
➤ GoPro HERO4 Black