Poke Made From Yellowtail
After moving to Hawaii, I fell in love with poke. And while I loved living and working in Hawaii, I was a California fisherman at heart. So, poke made from yellowtail is something I thought about all the time.
In Hawaii, they used anything that came from the ocean to make poke. So, after I came back to California, yellowtail poke seemed like a natural to me. I make it over a bowl of rice and now, it has become a regular menu item at my house. Here's my go-to recipe for those of you who would love to try poke made from yellowtail.
Should you use yellowtail for poke without freezing it?
Learn all about safe fish handling from my video:
Bacteria & Parasites, What You Need To Know.
Easy Yellowtail Poke Bowl (serves 2)
½ pound yellowtail fillets 1/4” cubed
1 ¼ cups sushi rice
1 ½ cups of water
2 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon of molasses
2 limes juiced
1 tablespoon sesame oil
3 tablespoons of sesame seeds
1 mango 1/4” cubed
1 avocado cut into rose petals (see video)
Red chili flakes
1. First, wash the rice in a strainer, until the water becomes clear.
2. Then, in a small pot, bring 1 ½ cups of water to a boil, with a pinch of salt. Add the rice, reduce the heat and let simmer for 10 minutes with a lid on the pot. Now, create the vinegar rice seasoning by mixing the vinegar, sugar and salt. Set aside. After the rice has simmered for 10 minutes, remove it from the heat and let stand for at least 10 minutes. Remember, do not remove the lid.
3. Now, place the rice into a large nonmetallic bowl or a wooden/plastic cutting board. With the wooden spatula, begin to gently break apart the rice to allow for cooling. At the same time, add the vinegar seasoning while continuing to gently mix until rice is at room temperature.
Assembling The Poke Made From Yellowtail
4. Create the poke dressing by adding the soy sauce, molasses, lime juice, sesame seed oil and sesame seeds into a small mixing bowl and stir. Now add the cubed fish, mix and place in the refrigerator until needed.
5. In a serving bowl, first lay a bed of the sushi rice, then add the dressed yellowtail cubes. Now add the cut mango and, finally, add the avocado rose dead center on the plate. And, finally, garnish with red chili flakes and sea salt. Enjoy!
NEED SOME KITCHEN STUFF? 🙂
Here's a great way to support Fisherman's Belly. Use our
amazon links to purchase items you may need. You don't
pay extra but, Amazon sends us a small commission on
your purchase. Just click on the links below to take a look
and shop around. Thanks, Yanni
➤ 30 Day Free Amazon Prime Membership
KITCHEN GADGETS & INGREDIENTS FOR THIS RECIPE 🌶
➤ 12-inch Chef's Knife
➤ Wusthof Pro Cook’s Knife 12-inch
➤ Ex-Large Bamboo Cutting Board 18"x14" http://amzn.to/2EXy1uL
➤ 24" Round Hard Wood Cutting Board http://amzn.to/2Cxmvo6
➤ Pyrex 1-cup & 2-cup Measuring Cups http://amzn.to/2AhJf9z
➤ Pro Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl Set of 6 http://amzn.to/2CNr3H7
➤ 10" Porcelain Rectangular Platters, Set of 4 http://amzn.to/2CK8Kqe
PHOTOGRAPHY EQUIPMENT USED 🎥
➤ Canon EOS 70D Food Photography & Video
➤ GoPro HERO4 Black