Rockfish Recipe Soup
Sometimes life gives you lemons. Then you have to make lemonade. Other times, life gives you rockfish, then, you can run home and make my basic rockfish recipe soup. And, why not? It works to me!
Last Saturday, my buddy, Gabe, and I hit the water hoping for some big yellowtails. We got tripped at our first step, catching bait. Which took all morning and only produced a few pieces between us. Our plan was not going well. But since it's now October and the nights are getting colder, the rockfish might be biting. But where to look?
Then the newly planted lobster buoys started talking to us. Since the buoys sit on top of a reefs, and rockfish live on those reefs, we started jumping from reef to reef looking for hungry rockfish. So we went for it and had a ton of fun catching rockfish.
By the end of the day, I decided to run home and make rockfish recipe soup. Since I love it, I thought this might be the perfect chance to teach other fishermen the basics of making fish soup, including how to make a fish stock with white wine and rockfish carcasses. This is an important life skill, believe me. After you learn this, you'll never throw away another rockfish carcass as long as you're a fisherman!
Rockfish Recipe Soup & Sourdough Parmesan Toast
(serves 4, with plenty of leftover soup)
4-5 ea, 1-2lb rockfish, gutted and gilled, fillets skinned and cut into 1 inch pieces; carcasses saved
2 medium sized onions, one diced
6 medium sized carrots, three diced
6 celery stalks, three diced
6 Yukon Gold potatoes, diced, skin on
1 bundle of parsley
1bundle of dill, chopped
Coarse black pepper
½ bottle saffron from last week's recipe (optional)
1 bottle of white wine, sauvignon blanc or pinot grigio
4 bottles of cold water (use the empty wine bottle)
2 tablespoons of olive oil
Sourdough bread sliced
Parmesan cheese, grated
Make the Rockfish Recipe Soup Stock
1. Start creating the fish stock by heating cold wine and cold water in a large stock pot.
2. At the same time, add 4 tablespoons of salt, 2 tablespoons pepper, one onion cut in half, 3 carrots, 3 celery stalks, the juice of two lemons, and the fish carcasses.
3. Bring to a boil, lower the heat to a simmer and then add a bundle of parsley and the saffron (optional). Simmer for 30 minutes.
Start Making The Soup
4. In a separate large pot start creating the soup by heating the olive oil, then adding the diced onions, carrots, and celery. Add a pinch of salt and pepper then saute for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and only reheat just before the fish stock has reached the 30 minute mark.
5. When the fish stock is done, place a colander over the soup pot and pour the fish stock through the colander. Place the dice potatoes in the soup pot and cook for 20-30 minutes over a medium heat.
6. During this time toast the slices of sourdough bread in a toaster. Separately, heat a frying pan over a medium heat. Now butter on side of the toasted bread and liberally sprinkle on parmesan cheese. Place in the heated frying pan, cheese side down. Fry for 3-4 minutes. Remove and allow to cool.
7. After the potatoes have become tender, then add the pieces of rockfish. Cook for an additional 5-10 minutes, then add the chopped dill. Serve with the toasted parmesan sourdough bread and enjoy!
Equipment, Kitchen Gadgets And Ingredients I Use For This Recipe
💰 BEST SAVINGS ONLINE NOW 💰 ➤ FREE 30 Day Amazon Prime Membership http://amzn.to/2lIRHcI For Huge Discounts and Free Shipping! ____________________________________________________________ 🎣 FISHING & PHOTOGRAPHY EQUIPMENT USED 🎥
➤ Lowrance Elite-7 CHIRP Fishfinder/Chartplotter $445 http://amzn.to/2Ddl3bu
(I love the big screen!) ➤ Camera Used For Food Photography & Video Creation: Canon EOS 70D Photo & Video Package w/2 Lens, Tripod, Filters, Memory Cards & More... Amazon Top Value! $1099.95 ➤ GoPro HERO4 Black $278 http://amzn.to/2md2DzF _____________________________________________________________ 🛠 KITCHEN GADGETS & INGREDIENTS FOR THIS RECIPE 🌶
➤ Pinch Bowls w/lids (set of 3) $9.99 http://go.magik.ly/ml/8o8f/ ➤Stainless Steel Stock Pot 16qt $22.57 http://go.magik.ly/ml/8f08/ ➤ Stock Pot Stainless Steel 20-quart w/Lid $85.44 http://amzn.to/2CG2boJ ➤ Large 10.5-quart Aluminum Soup Pot w/Lid $18.89 http://amzn.to/2CJLAfy ➤ Morton Kosher Salt 3lbs $14.99 http://amzn.to/2AiewJN ➤ Adjustable Pepper Grinder, Clear $16.99 http://amzn.to/2AsoiZG ➤ Spicy World Black Peppercorn 16-oz bag $11.81 http://amzn.to/2CTif3a ➤ Orange Citrus Juicer/Squeezer $27.97 http://amzn.to/2E0vs9N ➤ 12-inch Chef's Knife $19.95 http://amzn.to/2CnQuyw ➤ Wusthof Pro Cook’s Knife 12-inch $44.95 http://amzn.to/2CCoOGg ➤ Ex-Large Bamboo Cutting Board 18"x14" $24.95 http://amzn.to/2EXy1uL ➤Spanish Saffron $19.39 http://go.magik.ly/ml/8dg2/ ➤ Stainless Steel Colander $16.95 http://amzn.to/2DnN6V7 ➤ Various Amazon Parmesan Cheeses http://amzn.to/2y3mVjR __________________________________________________________________ You can support Fishermans Belly Channel by using our links 🔗 for your purchases. Thanks! Yanni🙂