Sea Bass Baked In A Packet
There's nothing more romantic than having sea bass baked in a packet--on the dinner table--that you cooked for that special someone. The colors, aromas and flavors all spell love. Well, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit, and maybe not! After all, the French love this dish, and it has become popular all over Europe and the Americas. What makes this recipe so special? Once learned and mastered, sea bass baked in a packet can be cooked many ways. And the variations are as infinite as the veggies in your ice box and the white wine in your rack. Really! And speaking of romance, here in California the best time to catch a sea bass, is just after the sea bass get romantic. That's because they are hungry.
White sea bass get together for a little romance between March and June. Both male and females become physically depleted of calories from intense courtship. But when the fun is over, they need to eat. That's when they “school up” forming a massive moving body of fish that devour anything in their path. Getting in on that bite, is every fisherman's dream. They're big, powerful, beautiful fish, and many consider them the best table fare in our So Cal waters.
Catch a sea bass and go home and cook this recipe. Not only will you become a gourmet genius cook, but you'll also get to go fishing a lot more. After all, isn't that the circle of life--fish, cook, eat, fish, cook, eat?
White Sea Bass In A Packet (serves 2)
2 (ea) ½ lb. white sea bass fillets 1½ inches thick
4 tablespoons of olive oil
¼ cup of vegetable oil
¼ cup of dry white wine
Coarse black pepper
1 lemon, sliced into ¼ inch rounds
2 teaspoons of (brined) capers
2 carrots, julienne 4-5 inches long
1 Mexican squash, julienne 4-5 inches long
1 bundle of green onions
1 bundle fresh dill
6 cherry tomatoes
2 (ea) parchment paper 15x15 inches
Assembling The Sea Bass Baked In A Packet
1. First start by preheat the oven at 400F degrees.
2. Prepare the square sheets of parchment paper by creating a diagonal crease in the center and then reopen to a flat squares again. Now start by placing on one side of the diagonal crease, near the center, two lemon rounds side by side next to each other.
4. Season the fish fillets with salt and pepper, and then place one fillet on top of the lemon rounds. Now add half of the carrots on each side of the fillet, and also place a few on top. And now, the same goes for the squash, remembering to again place a couple of squash strips on top. And next, add a teaspoon of capers on top of the fish fillet and with a pinch of green onions, and dill. And finally, add 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil and a splash of white wine on top of the fillet.
10. Refold the parchment square along the crease thus creating a half- moon shape. Begin to fold and pleat at one end of the triangular pouch. Keep the folds and pleats tight all the way around until you create a tight seal resulting in a half moon shape. Repeat the process for the second pouch. Remember to brush the top of each parchment bag with a little vegetable oil.
Baking The Sea Bass In A Packet
12. Begin baking on a sheet pan at 400F degrees until you reach the 20 minute mark. If your fillets are on the thinner side, you can bake until you reach the 15 minute mark. You shouldn't have to worry about overcooking the fish since the fish will be steaming within the packet. After baking, remove the parchment bag from the oven.
13. Place the parchment pouch on a serving plate and then use a pair of scissors to make a small cut at the very top and center of the parchment bag. Through the small hole make four long cuts to open up the parchment pouch. Garnish with cherry tomatoes and serve.
Equipment, Kitchen Gadgets and Ingredients Used To Create This Recipe
🎣 FISHING & PHOTOGRAPHY EQUIPMENT USED 🎥
➤ Lowrance Elite-7 CHIRP Fishfinder/Chartplotter $445 http://amzn.to/2Ddl3bu (I love the big screen!)
➤ Camera Used For Food Photography & Video Creation: Canon EOS 70D Photo & Video Package w/2 Lens, Tripod, Filters, Memory Cards & More… Amazon Top Value! $1099.95 http://amzn.to/2C09m5V
➤ GoPro HERO4 Black $278 http://amzn.to/2md2DzF
➤ Fish Stringer Metal Clip $16.98 http://amzn.to/2Bt1dGU
🛠 KITCHEN GADGETS & INGREDIENTS FOR THIS RECIPE 🌶
💰 BEST SAVINGS ONLINE NOW 💰
➤ FREE 30 Day Amazon Prime Membership http://amzn.to/2lIRHcI
➤ 12-inch Chef's Knife $19.95 http://amzn.to/2CnQuyw
➤ Wusthof Pro Cook’s Knife 12-inch $44.95 http://amzn.to/2CCoOGg
➤ Orange Citrus Juicer/Squeezer $27.97 http://amzn.to/2E0vs9N
➤ Morton Kosher Salt 3lbs $14.99 http://amzn.to/2AiewJN
➤ Adjustable Pepper Grinder, Clear $16.99 http://amzn.to/2AsoiZG
➤ Spicy World Black Peppercorn 16-oz bag $11.81 http://amzn.to/2CTif3a
➤ Parchment Paper Kirkland Non Stick 205sqft $11.89 http://amzn.to/2CkIZYr
➤ Pinch Bowls w/lids (set of 3) $9.99 http://go.magik.ly/ml/8o8f/
➤ Kirkland Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil 2L $23.60 http://amzn.to/2ClQhvN
➤ Ex-Large Bamboo Cutting Board 18"x14" $24.95 http://amzn.to/2EXy1uL
➤ 24" Round Hard Wood Cutting Board $21.95 http://amzn.to/2Cxmvo6
➤ Imported Capers 8-oz $9.33 http://amzn.to/2BiQcrL
You can support Fisherman's Belly by using our
links 🔗 for your purchases. Thanks! Yanni🙂