Both Greek and California fishermen have spiny lobsters along their coastlines. That's why I'm introducing a recipe straight from a Greek fisherman's kitchen, stuffed Greek lobster. This recipe bakes stuffed lobster halves filled with chunks of lobster, homemade tomato sauce and feta cheese. This flavor combination is loved by all Greeks.
Like having lobster for breakfast? Try my lobster omelet, it's a great way to start your day!
This video-recipe is easy to follow and full of tips and tricks. After watching the video, you'll have the confidence to make this dish. All you need some fresh whole lobsters, good tomatoes, canned or fresh, and good Greek feta cheese. Go ahead and surprise everyone with this Greek stuffed lobster dish!
Mikey's catch in Mission Bay a week before the 2020 season closer.
Here's my personal best spiny lobster at just over 8 pounds, out of Santa Monica Bay.
Stuffed Lobster (serves 4-6)
2-ea 2 pound lobsters, whole
1 can crushed tomatoes, 28ounces
2 whole fresh tomatoes, hand grated
3-5 cloves of garlic, finely diced
1 whole onion, medium dice
2-3 tablespoons of olive oil
Pinch of oregano
Kosher salt/coarse black pepper
1 tablespoon of sugar, optional
¼ pound of feta cheese, crumbled
1 cup of fresh basil
Start Making The Greek Stuffed Lobster
1. When you're ready, start by parboiling your lobsters whole, in salted water. What's salted water? Use enough salt so the water tastes like the sea! Boil both lobsters at 5.5 minutes per 2 pounds of lobster. When done, refrigerate the lobsters until needed.
2. Next, start creating the tomato sauce while first sautéing the onions in olive oil. After 5 minutes add the garlic and lower the heat slightly to ensure the garlic doesn't burn. Saute the onions and garlic until completely translucent then set aside.
3. Now, in a separate pot, add the canned and fresh grated tomatoes, plus a ½ cup of fresh basil. Add a pinch of oregano, salt and pepper. Taste the sauce. If more sweetness is required, then add a tablespoon of sugar. Cook over a medium high heat. Remember to constantly stir by the tomato mixture to prevent the sauce from burning at the bottom of the pan. Finally, cook the tomato mixture until it's reduced by half. Now, add the sautéd onions and garlic to the tomato mixture while lowering the heat to a simmer. Continue to simmer for another 15 minutes.
Prep The Lobsters
4. In the mean while, use a large chef's knife and cut the cooled lobsters in half. Remove the tail meat and discard the remaining entrails while leaving the lobster shell intact. Now, chop the tail meat into large chunks. Tip: To throughly clean the inside of the lobster shells, sprinkle coarse Kosher salt inside the shells and wipe clean with a paper towel.
5. Preheat the oven at 450F for 15 minutes or so, then lower to 375F just before placing lobsters inside oven.
6. When the tomato sauce is cooked, allow it to cool for a few minutes. Then add the chopped lobster and mix. Spoon out the mixture into the entire halved lobster shells. In the end, add sprinkle crumbled feta cheese on top of stuffed lobster halves. Now place the stuffed lobster halves onto an oven pan and bake at 375F for 10 minutes.
7. Serve the lobster halves on a platter, and finally garnish with fresh hand-cut basil. Enjoy!
NEED SOME KITCHEN STUFF? 🙂 Here's a great way to support Fisherman's Belly. Use our
amazon links to purchase items you may need. You don't
pay extra but, Amazon sends us a small commission on
your purchase. Just click on the links below to take a look
and shop around. Thanks, Yanni
___________________________________________________________ ➤ 30 Day Free Amazon Prime Membership http://amzn.to/2lIRHcI
KITCHEN GADGETS & INGREDIENTS FOR THIS RECIPE 🌶 ➤ Cento San Marzano Organic Peeled Tomatoes 6-pac 28-oz http://amzn.to/2DNzHZI ➤ Mercer Culinary 12-inch Chef's Knife
http://amzn.to/2CnQuyw ➤ Wusthof Pro Cook’s Knife 12-inch
http://amzn.to/2CCoOGg ➤ Ex-Large Bamboo Cutting Board 18"x14" http://amzn.to/2EXy1uL ➤ Stock Pot Stainless Steel 20-quart w/Lid http://amzn.to/2CG2boJ ➤ Real Greek Feta 7-oz
PHOTOGRAPHY EQUIPMENT USED 🎥 ➤ Canon EOS 70D Food Photography & Video https://amzn.to/2Ib1yGF ➤ GoPro HERO4 Black http://amzn.to/2md2DzF