If you have any questions about this recipe, just leave them on the YouTube video and I'll get back with you ASAP!
When it comes to tuna hand rolls, fishermen have the edge.
Why? Because we can catch the freshest tuna around!
And with the help of this recipe, learning how to make and roll these tuna hand rolls, is a cinch. From start to finish, it's all here to make the tastiest rolls around.
By the way, water temperatures along our coast have broken the 100 year record. La Jolla's Scripts Pier is registering 78F! Looks like we're heading for a third stellar tuna season! Get ready, catch your tuna, and make this recipe!!
If you need more sushi or poke recipes, check out
Tuna Hand Rolls (make 15-20 tuna rolls)
1 ½ pounds of tuna, small cubes
Handful of cut arugula
Small papaya, cut into 4 to 5-in sticks
Package of Nori sheet, cut in halves
Ingredients For The Sushi Rice
1 tablespoon of sugar
2 tablespoons of white vinegar (seasoned rice vinegar optional)
1 teaspoon of salt
1 ¼ cup of sushi rice
1 ½ cup water
2-3 tablespoons of red chili flakes used as garnish
Creating the Sushi Rice
1. First, wash the sushi rice in a strainer, until the water becomes clear.
2. Then, in a small pot, bring 1 ½ cups of water to a boil, and add a pinch of salt. Then, start adding the rice, and reduce the heat. And, let it simmer for 10 minutes and remember, to keep the lid on the pot.
3. In the mean while, create the vinegar rice seasoning by mixing the vinegar, sugar and salt. And, set that aside. After the rice has simmered for 10 minutes, remove it from the heat and let stand for at least 10 minutes. And please, do not remove the lid!
4. Finally, place the rice into a large nonmetallic bowl or, onto a wooden or plastic cutting board. Now, using a wooden spatula begin to gently break apart the rice clumps to allow for cooling. Shortly thereafter, begin adding the vinegar seasoning, while continuing to gently mix the rice. Finally, allow the rice to cool to room temperature.
Creating the Tuna Hand Rolls
5. When using the Nori half sheets always place the sushi rice on the rough side of the sheets; and, try not to allow the sheets to get wet while working with them.
6. Start creating the tuna hand rolls by first placing a “ping pong ball” sized clump of sushi rice at the half way mark of the Nori sheet (watch the video for more details). Then add a couple of tablespoons of tuna on top of the rice. Next add the papaya strips and a couple of arugula stems. All of the ingredients are added only to the half way mark of the Nori sheet.
7. Begin the rolling process by folding the bottom corner of the Nori sheet (same half as the ingredients) over the filling, and then roll up to form a cone shape.
8. Enjoy with a small bowl of soy sauce and wasabi on the side.
NEED SOME KITCHEN STUFF? 🙂
Here's a great way to support Fisherman's Belly. Use our amazon links to purchase items you may need. You don't pay extra but, Amazon sends us a small commission on your purchase. Just click on the links below to take a look and shop around. Thanks, Yanni _____________________________________________________________
➤ 30 Day Free Amazon Prime Membership http://amzn.to/2lIRHcI
KITCHEN GADGETS & INGREDIENTS FOR THIS RECIPE 🌶 ➤ Ex-Large Bamboo Cutting Board 18"x14" http://amzn.to/2EXy1uL ➤ Cuda 10" Fillet Knife http://amzn.to/2qtueSB ➤ Culinary Pairing Knife Forged http://amzn.to/2DSrNhH ➤ 12-inch Chef's Knife http://amzn.to/2CnQuyw ➤ Wusthof Pro Cook’s Knife 12-inch http://amzn.to/2CCoOGg ➤ Kikkoman Soy Sauce 33.8-oz http://amzn.to/2CXEwwJ ➤ Amazon Cool Serving Platters http://amzn.to/2CI1f3j PHOTOGRAPHY EQUIPMENT USED 🎥 ➤ Canon EOS 70D Food Photography & Video https://amzn.to/2Ib1yGF ➤ GoPro HERO4 Black http://amzn.to/2md2DzF