Of all the raw tuna dishes I can think of, a tuna poke bowl is hard to beat. It's really a complete meal with its real treasure being fresh caught tuna.
My new tuna poke bowl recipe uses soy sauce, sesame seed oil and then rice vinegar for its sauce. Also this recipe relies on traditional Hawaiian poke ingredients, like minced ginger, sliced scallions, pepper flakes and finally sliced Maui onions.
Are we having an early tuna season, again? The San Diego fishing fleets have been finding bluefin and yellowfin tuna on their one day, two day and three day trips. It's time to make poke with the tuna!
Interested in how to perfectly sear tuna and then make a
Seared Tuna Salad? Check this out!
Tuna Poke Bowl (makes 4 bowls)
1 pound tuna fillet cubed 1/2 to 3/4-in cubed
2 tablespoons of minced ginger
2 large stalks of green onions sliced on the bias
1/2 onion finely sliced (use Maui onions if available)
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons of rice vinegar
1 tablespoon of sesame seed oil
1 tablespoon of veggie oil
Ingredients For The Sushi Rice
1 tablespoon of sugar
1 teaspoon of salt
1 ¼ cup of sushi rice
1 ½ cup water
2-3 tablespoons of red chili flakes used as garnish
Start This Tuna Poke Bowl Recipe
1. First, wash the sushi rice in a strainer, until the water becomes clear.
2. Then, in a small pot, bring 1 ½ cups of water to a boil, and add a pinch of salt. Then, start adding the rice, and reduce the heat. And, let it simmer for 10 minutes and remember, to keep the lid on the pot.
3. In the mean while, create the vinegar rice seasoning by mixing the vinegar, sugar and salt. And, set that aside. After the rice has simmered for 10 minutes, remove it from the heat and let stand for at least 10 minutes. And please, do not remove the lid!
3. Finally, place the rice into a large nonmetallic bowl or, onto a wooden or plastic cutting board. Now, using a wooden spatula begin to gently break apart the rice clumps to allow for cooling. Shortly thereafter, begin adding the vinegar seasoning, while continuing to gently mix the rice. Finally, allow the rice to cool to room temperature.
Create The Tuna Poke
4. Inside a large mixing bowl, add the tuna, onions, scallions, and then the ginger.
5. Now, create the poke sauce by adding the soy sauce, sesame oil and then rice vinegar inside a separate small bowl and mix.
6. Pour the sauce over the poke combination and then mix. Now place this mixture inside the refrigerator until needed.
Create The Handmade Poke Bowl From The Sushi Rice
7. On the cutting board, partition the rice into four equal portions. Now, take one portion of rice and place it inside a large plastic bag. Form it into ball and then place it inside a small pinch bowl. Once inside, firmly press the rice ball to conform to the shape of the pinch bowl, with a flat top.
Finally indent the top with your thumbs to create the inside of the bowl. Now, wet your hands and then remove the rice from within the plastic bag. It should look like a small bowl made from sushi rice. If your bowl breaks apart, replace it into the plastic bag and press the rice more firmly this time around. Create four bowls.
8. Finally, start dolloping the tuna poke inside each bowl and then garnish with red chili flakes. Enjoy!
NEED SOME KITCHEN STUFF? 🙂
Here's a great way to support Fisherman's Belly. Use our amazon links to purchase items you may need. You don't pay extra but, Amazon sends us a small commission on your purchase. Just click on the links below to take a look and shop around. Thanks, Yanni ______________________________________________________
➤ 30 Day Free Amazon Prime Membership
KITCHEN GADGETS & INGREDIENTS FOR THIS RECIPE
➤ 12-inch Chef's Knife
➤ Wusthof Pro Cook’s Knife 12-inch
➤ Cuda 10" Fillet Knife
➤ Ex-Large Bamboo Cutting Board 18"x14" http://amzn.to/2EXy1uL
➤ 24" Round Hard Wood Cutting Board http://amzn.to/2Cxmvo6
➤ Porcelain Ramekin Pinch Bowls 6-ea https://amzn.to/2IaIE2E
➤ Pyrex 1-cup & 2-cup Measuring Cups http://amzn.to/2AhJf9z
➤ Pro Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl Set of 6 http://amzn.to/2CNr3H7
➤ 10" Porcelain Rectangular Platters, Set of 4, http://amzn.to/2CK8Kqe
➤ Botan White Sushi Rice 5lbs
➤ 3 Fine Mesh Stainless Steel Strainers http://amzn.to/2t4ucBR
➤ Seasoned Rice Vinegar 12 Oz
➤ Kadoya Pure Sesame Oil, 11-Ounce Bottle (Pack of 3) https://amzn.to/2Id1KoD
➤ Kikkoman Soy Sauce 33.8-oz
PHOTOGRAPHY EQUIPMENT USED 🎥
➤ Canon EOS 70D Food Photography & Video https://amzn.to/2Ib1yGF
➤ GoPro HERO4 Black